We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara on the Cheap

Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara on the Cheap

I'd like to stay on the falls but if I can get a cheaper hotel that is clean and comfy not too far from the falls I would do that. Any advise?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,099 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Hi;

First, what do YOU consider "cheap" ? Cheap is a relative term as everyone's budget is different.

Second, when are you planning to travel ? Rates change due to demand / season / etc.

Lastly, what do you consider "not too far" ?

With that info, people will be able to provide you with a more qualified answer.

Best Regards

Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Alrighty :)

What I consider cheap? Say 100 dollars a day for hotel. Dont mind staying through the week. I don't mind driving 20 mins or so to the falls if I can get a cheaper hotel. Husband and I are the type that will be out most of the day but like a good breakfast at the hotel in the morning, buffet if possiable or a buffet nearby. Like to go when it gets warm so we can enjoy that speed boat ride they have at the falls. Looking to go around the end of May and after that. Like to go w/o big crowds around and a bunch of screaming kids, no offence but we haven't been away for a while and want to enjoy ourselves. Not looking to spend much on goodies to bring home, more into seeing some place different.

Thanks!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Are you planning on staying on the Canadian or American side of the Falls??

Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

On the American side. I've watched a few good shows about the falls and heard the Canadian side is the best. We might just travel over there for the day if needed.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,099 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Hi;

Currently, you need photo ID (i.e. driver’s license) AND your birth certificate for Customs on both sides of the border, OR a passport.

Effective June 1st 2009, you will require one of the following to cross the border by LAND.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

If flying into or out of the US you MUST have a passport.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Thank you for your help. Still making plans. Anyone happen to know what a person from Mexico needs to cross over to Canada? My husband is a Perm. Res. of the U.S. Besides his green card and D.L. does he need anything else?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,099 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

Hi CCG;

Green Card holders are included in the traveler article “Crossing the Border”. I provided the link in my previous post.

Best Regards

8. Re: Niagara on the Cheap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 07:20