We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

CHICAGO, IL
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Throwing together a very lasy minute trip so I'm hoping to get any suggestions for things to see and do and also getting around the area as my time will be limited.

I'm on a tight budget so I am staying at the HoJo at 6505 Niagra Falls Blvd. Are most things walkable from there or will I need to drive ? Where is parking for them if I do drive ?

I plan on arriving sometime in the evening of Saturday 07/25/09, probably around 6 to 7 PM and will be leaving sometime on the morning of Monday 07/27.

The only things I definitely have planned are Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds......

Any suggestions or tips would be appreaciated to make this a smooth trip. I am planning on combing through previous posts to start getting more ideas, but your help would be appreaciated.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

The HoJo is about 4 miles from the Falls, so you will have to drive or take the shuttle bus that operates from the Niagara Falls Blvd. area. If you drive, there is parking at the State Park at the Falls. Other things to do: Adventure theater, Aquarium, Discovery Center, Snow Park. If you plan on doing most of these, the Discovery Pass is a good deal. niagarafallsstatepark.com/PassToTheFalls.aspx

Don't miss the Fireworks Over the Falls on the Sunday night at 10pm.

If you are able to cross the border, much more to see and do on the Canadian side.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

FYI, in order to cross the border you will need a passport to return to the US side. The Discovery pass is a great deal and you will be able to do/see a lot that the falls has to offer.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,331 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Hi CHICAGO2006;

If you wish to visit the Canadian side, you now require one of the following to cross the border by LAND;

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

CHICAGO, IL
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Sounds good, off to a good start so far. I will definitely have my passport/license with me as I will plan on heading to the Canada side at some point.

Can I catch the Niagara Falls trolley somewhere near my hotel ?

What would you guys to recommend to see when I arrive later on Saturday night before calling it a night ?

For my full open schedule day ( Sunday 07/26 ) I'm planning on doing Cave of the Wind and Maid of the mist first thing in the morning. Any suggestions on what to do first or doesn't it matter ?

Suggestions after those two things in the US or should I head over to the Canadian side after those two ?

Thanks so much for everyones input so far !

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Although you are there only one day you might not have time to do the jetboats - they take you into the rapids. You get totally soaked and is a blast. They leave from both the US and Canada side. But its worth looking into.

www.whirlpooljet.com

Vineland, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

There will be fireworks on the Friday and Saturday nights, what day exactly do you get there? I'm to lazy to figure it out for myself :p sorry!

Also, the Falls are illuminated with colours lights and lots of other fancy things daily.

For the full schedule of fireworks and parties and such that will be put on through out the summer, check out

www.niagarafallstourism.com/fireworks.html

Good luck!

Kuhlie

Cork
Level Contributor
55 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Do Cave of the Winds earlier in the day as the queues becme much longer and slower during the day

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

You will need to drive to get to the falls from the Howard Johnson. It's about a 7 minute drive. There is also parking at the state park which is $10 or you can park on the street for free. The Niagara Falls Trolley only runs in the State Park.

The Maid of the Mist runs every 15 mins from 9:15am- 7:45pm through August 8.

I suggest looking into the Discovery Pass it includes admission into

* The Cave of the Winds

* The Maid of the Mist

* Niagara Adventure Theater

* The Niagara Gorge Discovery Center

* Aquarium of Niagara

* Niagara Scenic Trolley

http://tinyurl.com/discpass

Vineland, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

On the Canadian side, check out the Butterfly Conservatory, some of the Niagara Parks Commission's horticultural achievments, such as the Floral Clock (a huge clock made of flowers and such), the Brock Monument, the Skylon Tower, the IMAX's, maybe check out the Barge (the boat that got stuck at the lip of the Falls with two guys on it, and is still there to this day)

Good luck,

Kuhlie

Butterfly Conservatory: www.niagaraparks.com/garden/butterfly.php

Niagara Parks Commission: www.niagaraparks.com/aboutus/aboutus.php

Brock Monument: http://www.friendsoffortgeorge.ca/bm.htm

Skylon Tower: http://www.skylon.com/

IMAX's: http://www.imaxniagara.com/

The Barge (a brief history): http://www.niagarafrontier.com/scow.html

CHICAGO, IL
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any and all suggestions welcome for my itinerary

Thanks so much for everyones input. I will definitely put alot of this to use.

One last question though, I am planning on getting to the hotel between 4 and 5 PM Saturday night. I am planning on checking in and then driving down to where the Cave of the Winds is at.

For parking, will it be a problem finding open spots due to all the tourists ? Any specific lots I should look for ?

Thanks again