We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Niagara Falls to NYC with an overnight stop.

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
970 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Niagara Falls to NYC with an overnight stop.

Would welcome your suggestions as to where to stop for one night on our drive from Niagara Falls to NYC. We would like to split the journey fairly evenly if possible but also want to stay in a nice town perhaps on one of the lakes? Not necessary though.

Also any suggestions as to where to drop off the hire car when we get to NYC. Don't fancy trying to compete with the traffic there. Maybe somewhere we can catch a train into Manhattan?

Thanks

Di

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls to NYC with an overnight stop.

Hi, Di! I have a few suggestions. When I mapquested

( http://www.mapquest.com/directions/ ) the trip, it gave a route (I-90) from Buffalo to Syracuse, and then south on I-81, etc. About an hour past Syracuse would be the halfway point.

1) I would recommend checking out Ithaca NY. It's a college town with a very prominent university: Cornell. It's home to the famous Moosewood Restaurant, a vegetarian restaurant for 35 years. There are also state parks with beautiful scenery located in the hills around Ithaca. They have bumper stickers stating "Ithaca is Gorges," lol. Ithaca is about 20 miles away from the Cortland NY exit from I-81.

2) I would recommend checking out Binghamton NY, another university town. I've never stayed there, but driving through I always find the winding river and hills very pretty.

3) I would post on the New York City travel forum regarding where to drop the car. I know there are places north of NYC (in so-called "Upstate New York") where you can stop and pick up public transportation, just not sure where. Actually, the car rental agency should have that info for you, too.

Hope this helps!

-Dee

Edited: 26 January 2010, 14:33
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,128 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls to NYC with an overnight stop.

Hi Dimarie40;

Another option you might want to consider is taking the train to New York City from Niagara Falls or from Buffalo which is approx. 18 miles / 28 km away.

www.amtrak.com

Best Regards

Edited: 26 January 2010, 15:40
3. Re: Driving to Niagara Falls to NYC with an overnight stop.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 07:15