We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

We have two nights on US side and the next day plan to cross over into Canada and see from that side, enjoy some of the entertainment there, and then go on to see a friend in the Toronto area. What I would have liked to do is leave the car at our hotel (in the US), walk across the Rainbow bridge, spend the day in Canada, then go back to US side, pick up car and go back into Canada and on to Toronto - but that sounds madness with multiple, potentially lengthy border crossings. I guess we need to drive to the Canadian side and park there for the day - is the Rainbow bridge a vehicle bridge too? Where's good to park for the day? Thanks.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

Hi LizzieD, I think your first plan sounds good: leave your car at the hotel and walk across the border. The walkers generally get through much quicker than drivers so I wouldn't worry about being held up when walking.

-Dee

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

You may pay up to $20 to park on the Canadian side but, if you cross over early in the morning, it will be much quicker than later in the day when there could be long lines. And depending on what you want to see and do, it could also save an extra few kilometers of walking back over to your hotel. Best place to park depends also on what you want to see.

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

Thanks for your responses. Good to know the queue for walking across is unlikely to be long. We seem to have inadvertently promised the kids a trip to Ripleys, so would plan to see the views from the Canadian side (from all possible angles :)) and do Ripleys maybe, before moving on. If we can save the $20 on parking, unless its a loooong walk back to the Holiday Inn right next to the falls from there, maybe we will walk over for the day... I guess I'll check the distance - and I guess we'll see how we feel on the day. Thanks again.

4. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2015, 16:12
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

You'll have about a 1 mile walk from your hotel to Clifton Hill. Another mile to Table Rock Centre at the Horseshoe Falls, and then 2 miles back to the hotel.

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

Thanks for the details of distances folks, that helps. If it's boiling hot we'll probably go in the car, but might consider walking if a cooler day and we are not already exhausted at the end of a 2 week trip touring New York State! (end August).

7. Re: Park on Canadian side, or make two crossings??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 06:19