We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

we are planning on flying into either Hamilton or Buffalo? Still up in the air. Do we need to rent a car to get around the falls or are there shuttles available.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Are you planning on staying on the US side, or on crossing to the Canada side? How long do you plan to stay in the area? What do you hope to do aside from see the Falls themselves? What time of year will you be making this trip?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

You need to rent a car. Even if you find a shuttle, it won't go everywhere you want to go when you want to go. Give yourself freedom and convenience - rent a car

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

We are planning on going at the end of July and staying 4 or 5 days. If we fly into Hamilton we will rent a car to get to the Falls. I understand there is ground service from Buffalo to the Falls? We are also up in the air about a hotel?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Are you planning on staying on the US side, or on crossing to the Canada side? What do you hope to do aside from see the Falls themselves?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

We are planning on staying on the Canadian side. We looked at Great Wolf Lodge? We willl stay at the falls for 4 days and probably head over to the outlet mall in Buffalo for a day, then fly home.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

For questions regarding the Canadian side, you should post in the Niagara Falls, ON forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagar…

The Outlet Mall you are probably referring to is the Fashion Outlets in Niagara Falls, NY. There isn't really one in Buffalo.

http://www.fashionoutletsniagara.com/

BTW - it's Niagara, not Niagra

Edited: 23 February 2011, 16:32
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Given your plans, I would rent a car. You can use the People Mover on the Canadian side to get from sight to sight, but the car will give you the ability to get to and from the malls and anyplace else you want to go (e.g., dinner) that isn't right on the bus route.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Hi kim1time, just an fyi, there is no outlet mall in Buffalo, although there is a very large regular mall in Cheektowaga NY, near the Buff-Niagara airport: the Galleria Mall.

There is a true outlet mall in Niagara Falls, NY. Also, there are large discount stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's in the 'burbs around Buffalo.

-Dee

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,515 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Hi kim1time;

If you land in the US and rent a car, as a Canadian citizen, you can NOT bring the US car into Canada, due to import restrictions.

Just to be clear...this restriction only applies to Canadians driving US cars into Canada.

Best Regards

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Niagra Falls - Do I need to rent a car?

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Did not know we could not bring a rental across to Canada. Thanks! I guess the outlet mall that people are referring to is the one near the buffalo airport.