We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

I am planning to be in Niagra falls for a few days in November with my 20 year old son - where will there be more to do (nature, sites, attractions, walking, hotels). The New York or the Ontario side?

Edited: 07 August 2011, 18:16
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,322 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

Hi DannyE44;

Definitely the Canadian side ! Why ?

• Just about every view YOU have seen of the Falls was taken from the Canadian side.

• Cleaner

• Much more to see and do.

Here is an interactive map of Niagara Falls Canada.

niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

The view is facing the US side, with the Fallsview area on the right side, and Clifton Hill on the upper left. Click on a building, and a new page will open with a description and details.

Best Regards

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

I'll second the Canada side.

New York
Level Contributor
935 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

To be fair, there are two ways to look at it. Yes, yhe US side is dirtier and not as well-developed. Fact. But it is also less expensive, more authentic (i.e. less "gaudy") and has some great activities. It's neighboring city to the south (Buffalo) also has lots in the way of arts, dining, nightlife, & culturals.

It really depends on what you're specifically looking for and what kind of traveler you are. If you need a commercialized environment where you will recognize things and can't be bothered with researching the area (not that there's anything wrong with that, people are busy and do want to relax on vacation after all), then yes, you should stay on the Canadian side.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

After our recent trip sadly I have to say the Canadian side is far superior in nearly every way. Yes the US side is cheaper but it is very run down with few dining options within walking distance of the falls area. We regretted not staying on the Canadian side.

5. Re: Niagara Falls - Canada or US side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 15:16