We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

Hi all,

We are driving up from the Philadelphia area to the Falls area. Our plan is to start after dinner (around 7:00 pm), & make it to the Niagara area around 4:00 am-ish. We were hoping to find a place near the falls (on either side) that we can park for an hour or two to take a nap before the sun rises. I really want to see the sun rise over the falls! I imagine it would be crazy amazing! :-)

Anyway, I have searched through the forum a bit for the answers to my two part question. I did find some information regarding the best place to see the sunrise. Someone said in an older post: "You will need to be on the west side of the Falls, the Canadian side, to see a sunrise. Best place would be in Queen Victoria Park, either right across from the American Falls or near Table Rock Centre for the Horseshoe Falls." I'm guessing this is still true?

Can anyone help me determine where we might be able to park and snooze prior to the sun rising? We're looking for the cheaper the better - free is best! My boyfriend seems to think there is a park of some sort on the NY side that is open 24/7 that we can park at...?

If it's best to view the sunrise from the Canadian side, it would probably be best to park over there, too, no? Is there anywhere we can do that?

Thanks for your time and any information you might be ablet to provide!

Liz (and Matt)

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

You'll need to cross into Canada to have a chance at a sunrise over the falls. Most mornings the falls are rather obscured in mist until the suns gets up a bit. I wouldn't recommend sleeping in your car and I don't recall if the parking lots were 24hr operation or not.

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

@coastermeister - Other than the fact that sleeping in a car is uncomfortable and not nearly as nice as sleeping in a hotel room/real bed, can you give me reasons behind your recommendation of not sleeping in my car? Safety? Legality? Something else...?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

Safety. Don't know about legality.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,515 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

Hi lizabelle1217;

The Niagara Falls Canada forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

I would suggest posting your query on that forum as well.

Best Regards

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

Thanks, RescueTeam. I have cross posted in the Niagara Falls Canada forum.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,515 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

You're Welcome !

7. Re: Park & sleep, and Sunrise Falls viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 15:16