We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

I have a query whether one can travel on foot to rainbow bridge if on does not have a canadian Visa ?

I have a US H1 Visa and my wife has a US H4 visa. We do not have Canadian Visa and don't intend to get one.

We have read that the view from Rainbow bridge is very good and would like to do that.

But with a Non US passport and only H1/H4 visa can we actually go to rainbow bridge and come back in US ?

Will this have any impact on my I94 attached in my passport ?

If yes then how long we can travel on the bridge ?

I read some old thread where it has been mentioned that as soon as one steps on the bridge we are technically outside US.

Confused on this matter.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

Interesting question...

About half way over the bridge there is a marking that indicates were the international border is. If you only walk to that point and return to the USA side without going into Canada (and your passport /visa/etc is good for US) it seems like you should be OK. (?)

This could only be done if Walking, because to can't turn around if Driving...

Edited: 15 July 2012, 20:02
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,294 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

Hi rak007;

Once you enter the bridge, you have technically left the US, even if you do not enter Canada.

You will be required to clear US Customs to "re-enter" the US.

Best Regards

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

Yes Rescue, but the OP has passports, visas & etc's that should allow them to re-enter the US after taking a walk on the bridge.

Of course they should get the official word from the border authorities before hand.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

I have done exactly that years ago walked the bridge with permission from customs, went halfway and came right back

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,294 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

Hi Oompappy;

I didn't say that they would be denied entry, but that they will need to clear US Customs.

Best Regards

6. Re: Query about going to Rainbow Bridge (No Canadian Visa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:15