We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

Hi,

We are a group of 6 people including 2 senior citizens and a child of 4 years of age.

I was wondering if Devil's Hole State Park is a suitable place for this group. We are visiting Niagara Falls from CT this weekend. We will of course go to the Niagara Falls state park. Should we do this as a side trip?

1. If we go, how long should we budget for this place?

2. How well-maintained is the trail? Is it suitable for kids and seniors?

3. How long is the trail?

4. If we are unable to take the trail, is there any view from the top?

5. Is there an admission fee?

Thanks,

Vivek

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

Ok. I got a call back from Devil's Hole State Park (I had left a VM) and I got most of the above questions answered. Now I have a new set of questions:

1. There seems to be a trail from the Devil's Hole State Park to the Whirlpool state park. How does this compare with the Niagara Falls river gorge trail originating at the Niagara Falls state park? Are they similar in nature, and going to one of them is sufficient?

2. If yes, which one is better?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

It is basically a trail (mostly steps) 300ft down the side of the Niagara River Gorge. Going down is easy, but coming back up is physically demanding, so this trail should only be attempted if you are very fit. Seniors and small children are questionable. Here is a youtube video that will give you a good idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_4Zct48QI

You cannot see the Falls from here (they are a couple of miles upriver) but you can see the Niagara Whirlpool and the Whirlpool Aerocar on the Canadian side.

There is no fee.

South Windsor...
Level Contributor
223 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

Thanks fallsdude.

A few more questions that I asked in my second posting:

1. There seems to be a trail from the Devil's Hole State Park to the Whirlpool state park. How does this compare with the Niagara Falls river gorge trail originating at the Niagara Falls state park? Are they similar in nature, and going to one of them is sufficient?

2. If yes, which one is better?

Thanks,

Vivek

4. Re: Devil's Hole State Park - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 13:15