We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

My wife and I are flying to Quebec City (from New York) then travelling by train to Niagra Falls. I would appreciate some advice reagrding the best way to get from Niagra Falls Canada to Corning then on to New York. Corning is a must visit but is there much else to see between Corning and New York?

I think car hire is the preferred option but not essential.

Should I cross the border and rent a car in the US?

All help will be appreciated!

Desperate Aussie!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

car hire is really the only way you probably will be best off if you cross to USA to rent a car - especially if you;re doing one way rental

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

Hiring a car is the ONLY way to do it. I mean yes, you could take buses (coaches?), but there is no rail service. You must rent the car on the US side for a one way rental, as I'm mostly positive you can't drop off a canadian car in the US (and vice versa).

You don't mention time of year or how much time you have, but non-winter months (arguably Nov-late March) a visit in Ithaca could be worthwhile. You will also be near the Baseball Hall of Fame (i think that's slightly popular in Australia?).

Any particular interests?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,703 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

>>"You must rent the car on the US side for a one way rental..."<<

Hi mclee19;

That information is NOT correct. Rental cars cross the border, one-way, hundreds of times each day.

However, the cost of one-way rentals are much higher than a regular rental due to the drop-fees charged, as the vehicle must somehow be returned to the point of origin, towed if necessary, so adding in the cross border issue causes a large increase.

I have seen drop fee quotes of $500 for Toronto to NYC.

A Buffalo - NYC rental would be more cost effective.

Best Regards

Edited: 13 February 2013, 00:10
4. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2013, 16:24
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,703 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

Emily;

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the posting guidelines regarding the participation of business representatives. Your post is in violation of them, for a number of reasons.

tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

Best Regards

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

..."between Corning and New York?"

The Big Flats / Horseheads area malls are great for shopping... and the Delaware Water Gap is a scenic area. If you have the time and get off the main highways, the area is nice in general.

7. Re: Niagara Falls to Corning to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 05:17