We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Niagara Falls

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
First time visiting Niagara Falls

Hi, I'm planning to visit my son who is studying in Nashville, Tenessee, in mid August 2013. Since it's his summer break, we plan to visit Niagara falls. I don't know where/how to start..getting there (nearest airport?), where to stay and how long is sufficient, any recommended local tours or it's better to plan our own, weather at that time, is it peak season.....any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks..Marlene (Malaysia)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,333 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

Fly into Buffalo Airport, you can rent a car or get a taxi there. Will you be able to cross into Canada? The Canadian side has the best views. If you plan to stay on the Canadian side, I think three days is a nice length of time, though you can do it in less, or spend more if you'd like to explore the area a little bit more.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,991 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

Hi Marlene;

FYI...citizens of Malaysia require a Visa to visit Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

You can NOT apply for the Visa at the border.

Best Regards

3. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2013, 18:04
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

Thank you!

Yes I'm aware of the Visa requirements and plan to apply before I fly

Can I just take a coach from Buffalo Airport and is a car a necessity if I stay on the Canadian side? Are all tourist sites accessible by public transport? Or it's better to sign up for a local tour when I'm there?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

See this article on the Niagara Falls, Ontario forum: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154998-s301/Niagara-…

The Niagara Falls, Canada forum is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

My husband & I are from TN as well. We drove to Niagara Falls 3 years ago this July...it was a long long drive... We stayed on the US side at Elizabeth House Bed and Breakfast.. the prices were grest as well as the food.. The location was awesome. It was a 5-8 minute walk to Goat Island and the US falls. We never drove into Canada. We always walked. The Canada side is awesome...the views and attractions/activities were so much fun. We stayed 2 nights at the B&B and went to all the major attractions at Niagara. Also, check on gonig to Ft Niagara...it's on the US side, only a 10-15 minute drive at the most from the falls... very nice area full of history. If you enjoy photography, you will have some awesome photo opps on this trip. Enjoy and be safe.

7. Re: First time visiting Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:16