We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and Distances

new york
Level Contributor
247 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels and Distances

1) Can anyone recommend a nice hotel overlooking the falls? (no to expensive for a couple and 3 kids) I planned on staying on the Sheraton on the falls on the Canadian side, but not sure I want to stay on the Canadian side ( Was told that crossing the border can take forever, and everything is way more expensive)

2) Does it make sense to stay on the US side and park there and just walk over the bridge and spend the day in Canada and come back (and do the same the next day if need more time) or is it quite far walking and so forth.

Thank You

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,364 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and Distances

1) There are no hotels on the U.S. side that have views of the Falls. There are 11 hotels, with about 4,000 rooms, on the Canadian side that overlook the Falls, and are expensive for that reason (the only hotels in the world that can offer that view). There are another 12,000 non-view rooms on the Canadian side in all price ranges. Prices of just about everything are higher in Canada.

Crossing the border can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depends totally on day and time of day.

2) You can do that, it's only about 1/4 mile across the Rainbow Bridge, but seems like a hassle to me.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 23:10
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and Distances

If you have younger children, I would suggest to drive rather than walking. And don't forget your passport.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and Distances

Hubby & I stayed on the US side @ Elizabeth House Bed & Breakfast 3 years ago. We walked from the B&B and crossed the Rainbow Bridge, 2 days in a row...We are not atheletic type people by any means, but we done perfectly fine both days doing this... We did not have any issues at customs...it went quickly..(we were there int he middle of July too).. We got some great pictures from Rainbow bridge as well. We spend the entire day...both days on the Canadian side....we were tired at the end of the day, but we really enjoyed walking around and seeing so many different things...If we go back in the future, we'd do just like stay on the US side and walk to the other side again. Enjoy yourself.

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and Distances

With three children, I imagine they'll get tired enough without having to walk across the bridge, too. Also, if you stay on the Canadian side, you can always go back to the hotel for a rest if necessary. Hotels with falls views will be more expensive, of course. We opted to stay at the Country Inn & Suites, which only had a partial view of the American Falls from the hallway. We weren't in the hotel much, anyway, and we could just walk down the hill to see the falls if we wanted. We also checked out the Holiday Inn, which we decided may be a consideration for our next NF trip. DoubleTree looks nice as well, but also does not overlook the falls. Wherever you stay, I hope you have a great trip.

5. Re: Hotels and Distances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:19