We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Mid-July, we're flying into Buffalo and heading to Niagara Falls NY to apply for a marriage license and getting married the following day. We want a home rental since there will be 6 family members with us and don't find many rentals on the US side. How much trouble is it to stay in Canada and cross Rainbow bridge a few times in a couple days. We're headed to a family reunion after the wedding so we need to be in Canada a day after the wedding anyway. There are so many more choices in Canada than NY.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

The crossing itself shouldn't be a problem, with two caveats:

1. Everyone needs a passport to cross the border.

2. Traffic lineups during the summer can be up to an hour or more each way, depending on day and time of day.

Indiana
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Thanks for the quick reply. We have passports but I think we'll stay in the US until after the wedding!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

You can get real-time data on border crossing wait times at:

http://travel.gc.ca/returning/border-times

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

New York
Level Contributor
930 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

You might want to try one of the B&Bs and inquire about renting multiple rooms or the entire house. The major ones are the Elizabeth House, the Butler House, and the Hilcrest Inn. There are also several vacation rentals on FlipKey with reviews:

flipkey.com/niagara-falls-vacation-rentals/…

Good luck!

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

And, congratulations!!! :) May you have a lifetime of happiness together!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Thanks! After 21 years together we figured it was about time :-)

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

I hope it is OK to add a question on to this thread! It is based on crossing the Rainbow bridge a few times. I am considering crossing it on foot once each way, and I will have a carry-on luggage with me each time. How luggage friendly is the bridge (stones, asphalt?)/customs? If I should start this question in it's own thread please let me know. Thank you.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,163 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Hi SoCalGal23;

Just so you know, it is proper forum Netiquette to start a new question rather than "tag on" to an existing one... so as not to confuse the replies for the original poster who sometimes has also opted to receive email notifications when replies are posted to "their" topic.

I would suggest reading the third entry of the "Top Questions" titled "Is there somewhere I can leave my luggage while I’m sightseeing ?"

Best Regards

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
614 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Crossing back and forth by car would be a bigger pain with traffic AND you never know Customs on either side will possibly pull your car over for a secondary inspection. Walking across a few times won't be a problem as they get frequent pedestrians walking across a couple times a day or more. Park the car and walk if you are staying near the Rainbow Bridge. The view from the bridge is beautiful. I think this is proper Netiquette

Edited: 13 May 2014, 04:47
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing back and forth for a couple of days much trouble?

Thank you. I am looking forward to the view! I do not have a car, but my itinerary denotes crossing the bridge from the Canada to US side. I obviously will need to carry my luggage across. Whether I cross back over for the day, not sure, and at that time I wouldn't have my luggage. Sounds like it is done fairly often by people everyday so I'm feeling better.