We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight and accom questions

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Flight and accom questions

We will be flying from Sydney (Australia) to Los Angeles and then onto NYC. BUT instead we would like to first have a night at Niagara Falls. So we are thinking of flying from LA to Niagara then onto NYC the next day.

My question is this, we will be arriving into LA so will go through immigration there, if we want to stay on the canadian side of Niagara Falls what happens? I'm unsure of what to do if we fly into the Canadian side as that is the side that we would like to stay on at one of the falls view hotels. As we are only there for one night it seems confusing and i'm thinking that maybe we should just fly to Buffalo and stay on the US side instead to save all the hassle?

Any advice is welcome.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight and accom questions

Hi galaga_girl;

Make you way to Buffalo NY. Niagara Falls is approx. 25 miles / 41 km from the Buffalo Niagara Int’l Airport. The average drive is approx. 30 minutes.

Alternately, Toronto's Pearson Int'l is 80 miles / 130 km from Niagara Falls.

As citizens of Australia, all you need to visit Canada, are your valid passports. No hassle at all.

For more information about visiting the Canadian side of the Falls, and so as not to be "off topic' on this US forum, please post on the Niagara Falls Canada forum. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

Best Regards

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight and accom questions

thank you very much. I've been doing a lot of reading and even though I would love to stay in a room where we can see the falls I have decided to stay on the USA side and just visit the Canadian side. This will be easier for us I think and we only have a day there anyway so won't even be in the room!!

I've decided on the Comfort Inn, it has good reviews and is in walking distance to the falls.

Now my question is, how easy is it to walk over the bridge? Do people do this all the time or mainly drive? We won't have a car and the FAQ's said to get a cab, there will be two of us so I think that would be the best bet from the airport. We will be coming in September so really just want to do Maid of the Mist and the Cave of Winds tours so easier to stick to the USA side :)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight and accom questions

You're Welcome, galaga_girl !

A taxi from the Buffalo airport would be the most convenient after a rental car.

You can walk across the Rainbow Bridge quite easily. It is approx. ¼ mile / 400 metres in length. People walk onto or across the bridge all the time, day & night. Do note that once you have stepped onto the bridge, you have left the country, so bring your passports.

Best Regards

NY
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight and accom questions

With that short of time, you will have plenty to do on the American Side but it is easy to walk across if you want to. In addition to your passport, have a credit card because don't forget the currency changes as well.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight and accom questions

wonderful, thank you. I'm starting to get very excited about this trip :) Bring on September!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight and accom questions

You're Welcome !

NY
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight and accom questions

It might have stopped snowing here by then :)

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight and accom questions

HAHA, hopefully! You guys do seem to be having a terrible winter up there. Our summer was pretty crap! Not one day over 26C :(

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight and accom questions

I've got another question, I'm trolling through lots of websites trying to see if there are any non-stop flights from LA to Buffalo. I can't seem to find any. I do like to fly Southwest or Virgin as I get points with both of those, but anything will do.

Otherwise we might have to go to NYC from LA then just do a day in Niagara flying there and back but that seems like a lot of time at the airport! I want to get there as fast as we can. I HATE flights that stop, especially after a 15 hour flight from Sydney.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight and accom questions

Hi Galaga_girl.

We too are staying there for one night in September.

We are flying from New York & staying on the Canadian side as there is more to do there & the views are better. The hotels are inexpensive as well.

Enjoy your holiday!