We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

We're planning to drive from Niagara to Corning NY (and from there to Philadephia),Google maps shows 3 routes; US 90; 390; and 20A. Is one of these nicer to drive (in terms or traffic or scenery or fun places to see along the way?) Thanks.

P.S. Any tips for the drive from Corning to Philly would be appreciated, too.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,586 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

I think you mean I-90 not US-90; that is the NYS Thruway. It will get you to US-20A or I-390 but not to Corning.

US 20A becomes rural once it leaves the Buffalo area and is a lovely route. Orchard Park and East Aurora are a couple of nice Buffalo suburb towns that it passes through. You can access beautiful Letchworth State Park from it and it passes a couple of the smaller Finger Lakes if you take it to it's end. It will not take you to Corning but you can pick up I-390 from US 20A around Geneseo to get to Corning. Letchworth is a must see IMO and Geneseo is a pleasant small town worth checking out. Stony Brook state park (off I-390 as you head towrds Corning) is also worth checking out as well. If you wanted to take US 20A to its end; you could then take US 20 east to Geneva where you would pick up NY-14 south into Watkins Glen then NY-414 south to Corning. This is a scenic route that passes through the city of Canandaigua and its lake of the same name then takes you along the west side of Seneca Lake. Watkins Glen state park in the village of Watkins Glen is a highlight of the area and should definitely be visited.

A nice route to Philly would be US-15 south (pick it up just west of Corning) to I-80 east to PA-611 south. This passes through pretty countryside on US-15 and along the Delaware River on PA-611.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

This route is by far the most scenic and interesting and only about 35 mins more than the route 20A to 390 directions. once outside of Buffalo the traffic is Very light until you get to 390 near Bath NY and then is only moderate. A stop at the Cuba NY cheese shoppe for an on the road snack is what we do sometimes.

http://goo.gl/maps/zqEA7

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

I know the Thruway route is pretty boring and the tolls make it even less attractive...

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

Thanks so much! This is really helpful.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

Thanks!

6. Re: Most scenic drive from Niagara to Corning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 06:15