We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

I plan on proposing to my girlfriend some time this summer and am thinking Niagara Falls would be the perfect place. I want it to be a surprise, so anything too elaborate might tip her off. Also, I'm thinking the most likely scenaro will have us stopping off there on the way back to the U.S from a vsit to her family. She is from Canada and I the U.S. (why I think this would b a perfect location since it's where the two countres come together).

So we won't be sending the night and likely not getting dinner. So, I'm thinking somewhere outdoors with pretty views (of the falls I am assuming) that hopefully won't be too overrun, crowded with other tourists. I know this last one may make it difficult.

Any thoughts?

Over The Falls Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Gray Line Niagara Falls Sightseeing Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Niagara Pedicab
Sightseeing Tours
Niagara Falls Adventure Tours
Walking Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

It sounds like you are considering doing this on the Canadian side. This is the Niagara Falls, NY (USA) forum.

Otherwise maybe an idea is to walk across the Rainbow Bridge. You could propose at the spot where the US and Canada literally meet. It is a great view, especially at night. I wouldn't think it would be too terribly congested because most people that cross on foot just sort of sightsee for a minute and then move along.

www.niagarafallslive.com/rainbow_bridge.htm

Good luck

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Exactly my thought! Propose at the Canada/US line on the pedestrian bridge. Even if there are a lot of tourists, you'll have more people to celebrate the happy moment. The ground is marked with US and Canada as well as flags on either side so you shouldn't miss it.http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/data/0/6/102906-528937.jpg

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

thanks for the replies!

are the falls fairly close by / highly visible from the bridge?

New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Yes and yes.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,284 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Welcome to TripAdvisor and congrats on the upcoming nuptials !

To help you put things into perspective, here is an interactive map of Niagara Falls Canada.

niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

The view is facing the US side.

The Rainbow Bridge is near the top of the page, spanning the Niagara River.

If I may suggest an alternate location - the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory, on the Canadian side.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154998-d25…

niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/b…

Best Regards

NY
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

just an idea.. the falls light up every night and on the weekends there are fireworks over the falls... you can check the website for the schedule but it might add some extra celebration :) Good luck!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Fireworks Over the Falls 2014: Every Friday & Sunday from May 9 to Nov.30; Every Wedneday from June 18 to Aug. 20; Every day from August 25th to 29th; Every Canadian & U.S. holiday during that period. All at 10pm.

New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Please post back and let us know how your special evening went!

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

thanks for all the suggestions.

i proposed on the bridge this past sunday and it was amazing!

i'd hired a photographer (unbeknownst to her, of course) who was able to capture the whole event.

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: marriage proposal idea - Niagara Falls

Sounds awesome!