We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Hi~

my friend and I are visiting the States in early Aug for around 10 days.

we will be arriving in Maryland to visit some friends, and then we would like to go NYC. How many days do you advise to stay in NYC? and is the Niagara Falls far away from NYC? can it be a one day trip or we will have to move our accommodation?

is there anywhere else you advise we should visit?

Many Thanks!~ =]

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,699 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Hi windbell_bell;

Niagara Falls is approx. 420 miles / 670 km from New York City.

Best Regards

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Are you driving? Taking a bus? Or will you consider flying from NYC to NF?

It would be insane (and pretty much impossible) to spend all that time and money to go to the falls and return on the same day.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Depending on where in Maryland you are coming from and your interests, Gettysburg, PA, battlefield; Amish country, Lancaster, PA; and the Wyeth Museum, Chadds Ford, PA, are found between along the Maryland - NYC route.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

If you're staying in Maryland and want to see some cool waterfalls you could go to Great Falls outside of Washginton DC.

Not as impressive as Niagra but impressive in their own right. And there is no part of Maryland that is more than a couple of hours from Great Falls.

New York
Level Contributor
940 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

Niagara Falls (US side) can technically be done in one day if you are up to a rigorous pace and can arrange the logistics of your airport transportation. People do it all the time (although it is is ideal to stay overnight).

The way to do it is to take the earliest flight out of NYC to BUF. Delta and JetBlue have frequent routes between BUF and JFK/LGA airports in NYC. You could even do this round-trip from DCA as there are nonstop flights both ways into BUF as well on Southwest, US Air, and American Air.

You will need to fly into BUF early in the morning. Take a taxi to Niagara Falls, NY (approx. 30 min ride). Sightsee and take in the attractions (Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, Aquarium, Gorge Trails). Have lunch somewhere downtown. There are a few chain restaurants (Hardrock, TGIFs) and some other independently owned places (I like Murphy's, Pizza Bistro on Third Street, or the Red Coach Inn). There is a new art gallery called 24 Below next to Red Coach that I haven't tried yet but I understand they also have a cafe. Avoid One Niagara and the Indian restaurants (except Zaika--it's pretty good).

Keep your taxi driver's card and arrange for him to pick you up and transport you back to the airport after you complete your day at the State Park. Again, allow for 30 mins (not factoring in traffic, if during rush hour 4:30-5:30) and you will need to arrive at the airport for check-in 90 minutes prior to your flight time. For example, if you have a 7pm flight, arrive at the airport at 5:30, and allow for an hour of traffic (leave at 4:30pm). The flight is an hour to 1.5 to both NYC or DC.

You wouldn't be able to stay late enough to see the Falls illumination and fireworks, unfortunately. Also, if your travels take you to the Canadian side of the Falls I would recommend staying at least an extra day/night.

Hope this helps. Feel free to follow-up with any questions.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 23:39
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

thank you very much for the advise , I think we will be deciding to stay overnight =]]

again thank you very much!!~ =]]

7. Re: maryland - NYC - Niagara Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls