We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls , July 4th - a mistake?

NY
Level Contributor
269 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls , July 4th - a mistake?

We are going up to Finger Lakes from NYC for July 4th weekend and were thinking about a day trip to Niagara Falls. I understand it's the busiest weekend of the year, and it will be very crowded.

Any advice on how to deal with crowds?

Are any attractions bookable online to avoid lines?

Any "skip the line" tours?

What about parking - any advice on that?

Does it matter whether we go on July 4 or 5th?

There are guided tours available from viator.com for around $90, which include Maid of the Mist, guided tour to major attractions, and pickup from the area. Does it make sense to book that to avoid huge lines?

Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls , July 4th - a mistake?

Well, don't cross the border to avoid those lines. There is no skip lines option. I can say they move the lines very well for the amount of people. The weather looks beautiful for Friday and Saturday as of now. I always recommend coming during the week but if this is when you can come, then just have fun. If you only have one day, I don't feel the discovery pass is worth it because it is really hard to do in one day. The trolley is nice if you have mobility issues but not necessary if you can walk. The trolley can actually take you longer. Anyway, the maid of the mist and cave of the winds are the best attractions. I would park in lot 2 on goat island. Go to cave of winds right there. After that walk to lookout point for horseshoe falls. Then walk to the maid of the mist. There is the observation deck, boat ride and you can walk up a path to get right next to falls after. Doing just this on Friday took us almost five hours. We took a break between for lunch and the kids got snowcones. Parking will cost $8 in that it. If you are getting the discovery pass.. I would park in the visitor center parking which is $10 but you have to get the pass there. I would get an early start and I would carry a backpack for water, sunscreen, snacks and camera. Be sure to put stuff you need to stay dry in zip lock bags. The fireworks on the 4th draws a huge crowd so you can stick around for that. Just make sure everything is open. Hope this helps...

New York
Level Contributor
935 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls , July 4th - a mistake?

Great advice here.

The 4th is a blast, no pun intended. One of my favorite times to visit.

One caveat, if staying late for the fireworks, pack bug spray if you plan on sitting near the river!

3. Re: Niagara Falls , July 4th - a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:16