We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Hi- Need a help. Am planning to do a 2 day bus tour between NYC and Niagara falls during Sep 2014. The price of Viator tour is 320 USD whereas that for 'Get Bus Tours' is 160 USD. The itinerary is almost same and the overnight hotel is also same; not sure whats the reason for the price difference . Can someone help me choose ? Viator is charging twice of other tour operators and am not sure why ? Would the bus quality be same ?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,642 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Neither of these mobs operate the tours. They are both booking agents. You are far better off looking to book direct with operators of the tours rather than through third party agents. I hope that you realise that it will take about 7 hours for the bus to get from NYC to Niagara Falls. So a 2 day trip ..... ???

niagara-usa.com/plan/….U8JPhkAUrds

Edited: 13 July 2014, 10:22
2. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 15:40
Edited: 13 July 2014, 15:40
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

There have been many discussions previously on both Niagara Falls forums (Canada & US) regarding bus tours from New York City. It has been the general consensus of both forums;

1) Niagara Falls is approx. 420 miles / 670 km from NYC. You spend a considerable amount of your time (about 7 hours each way) sitting on the bus, travelling. If crossing the border, add an additional hour, minimum for clearing Customs.

2) Almost always, English is a second language for the tour guide, and most people report finding the guide difficult to understand.

3) The tours select specific restaurants with very limited selections and are of poor quality.

(if included / provided)

4) The tours select low budget accommodations that are also of poor quality.

(if included / provided)

5) You will feel rushed and will have very little free time (if any at all) to see things on your own.

6) Items that were supposed to be included are often skipped because of poor planning.

7) People feel “ripped off “afterwards.

Best Regards

Debrecen, Hungary
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

We had recently visited Niagara Falls from NYC chosing getbustours, but the agency who organized the trip was Chinese from Chinatown NYC. It was the worst trip we have ever had. First of all, it was not clear what costs covers the money the guide collected from us on the bus. Also, we had to stay two hrs at the Canadian border, waiting in the bus, because of problems with the driver or the bus, so we had only 20 minutes to admire the falls in the night. On our way back we had to change the bus and get back with a bus that was strongly gas-smelling, inadecvate for touristic purposes. As a response to our complain, the bus driver shouted to us in Chinese, without understanding any word I am sure he didn't say kind words... I can't recommend the above mentioned site because the very poor quality of the operator they are working with.

Lucknow, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Viator is rather an expensive tour for a two days trip to Niagra falls.

We had this tour starting on 11th Aug. '14 from New York . The start of the day laid foundation for what was to be experienced during the next two days. The bus arrived late for about one hour and every one after reporting at Grey line visitor's office @ 777, 8th Av, NYC was standing on the footpath with the luggage waiting as even the tour guide (One named Ms Mayani) even did not have the information when exactly the bus would arrive. The people started assembling from 6.15 itself so it was tough to wait for nearly two hours before the bus could arrive and start at 8.00 hrs.

However, only a temporary driver was given and there was change of driver after about 40 min drive. Fortunately the tour guide ensured that there was no loss of further time on this.

The driver accompanied to the falls was good but he was too helpless as the bus air-conditioning did not work for the last 3-4 rows making life very uncomfortable for those who were seated in the back. The guide tried her best to get the replacement but the replacement was provided only at Niagra falls next morning for the return journey.

And the replacement provided was even worse as the bus was not even cleaned properly as the floor was littered with food items. This time the AC was over cooling and there was no way to control it. So the driver kept on switching on and off the system to manage. Even the bus bogged down twice on the way back but started at it's own somehow. The tour guide told that she requested for a new and good bus but was not helped by the owners. Even the itinerary could be more thoughtful as there was nothing on the return trip day except a stop at the factory outlets and passengers had to request for a rest room stop between during the long drive. There are plenty of lake or vine yards where small stoppages could be made to make the tour more useful.

On the better side, the tour guide was helping and had good information about many things. Driver too was good and safe. The hotel arrangement at Niagra was good.

Therefore, as was our experience an expensive tour may really not give you value for money!

Pune, India
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Hi Smri,

Me and my uncle are going to book this tour for Sep 14th for 3 days package.

taketours.com/new-york-ny/3-day-new-york-to-…

The third person is free here. So, as a third person if you are interested and the dates suit, kindly get back so we can share costs.

I read good reviews hence deciding to book.

email me if interested at angelrishi at hotmail dot com

Best,

Angel Kaushish

Edited: 18 August 2014, 15:48
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Angel (and smri),

it is your choice to go on this tour (or any tour like it), but I must point out again:

- there is AT LEAST 20 hours of travel in this tour. Spread over 3 days, that is basically half of your walking hours.

- with that little time in each of these major destinations, there is no way that you can even begin to appreciate what these places have to offer. For instance, on the final day, you will drive from Corning to Washington, then on to Philadelphia and then back to NYC. Other than an optional boat cruise in Washington, you will basically just drive by the listed attractions, not stopping at them.

- the price of the tour does not include admission to any of the attractions. If you do everything, it will add another $168 per person. As well, you are expected to pay $8 per person per day to the driver and guide, adding another $24 per person. So your $132 tour is really $324 per person.

And to top it off, you have just invited a perfect stranger to share your room with you on this trip.

It can only be a bad experience in my opinion.

Pune, India
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

I am so glad to hear from you. I shall re-plan my trip in this case. Thanks so much for your valuable time and the information provided. :)

Edited: 19 August 2014, 17:21
Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Thank you for your feedback. We try to give as much information to our customer as possible so that they know what they are buying. We are sorry as we did not meet your expectations. However, your suggestion is important as it will help us to improve as an organization. Please let us know what we could have done to give you more information.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice between Viator and Get Bus tours

Dear Smri,

Viator offers English only tours and GetBusTours offer both bilingual and English only tours. But the one you found on GetBusTours is bilingual tour that's why there is difference between the price. Actually, English only tour include some basic attractions like maid of the mist, wax museum, corning glass museum and others whereas bilingual tours do not include attractions fees. All attractions are optional and you have to pay for the attractions in cash to your guide.. Moreover, in English only tours might not have good quality hotels but they are closer to main attractions for example if tour is going to Niagara Falls then you will have hotel in Niagara Falls while in Bilingual tours hotel is not closer to major attractions. In bilingual tours driver tips are mandatory and they are normally between $5-$8 per day per person and in English only tours tips are recommended and are not mandatory.

Having said that bilingual tours are somewhat economical. You are not bound to do all attractions as they are optional and you also get some time to do something on your own.Last week I and my two other friends took the tour with GetBusTours. We got third person ticket free of cost and for the other two we ended up paying like this. It cost $108 for per person if you are two. So, $108+$16(tips)+$84(attractions fees) = $208. So, this sums it all. You visit more attractions and do more activities as compared to English Tours in Fall. So, if we choose and spend wisely then bilingual tour is a clear winner here.