We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving

leeds
1 post
Save Topic
scuba diving

Can scuba diving be arranged at the hotel or do I need to find a local dive centre ?

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving

Which hotel are you staying at? There is a dive centre at the RIU Karamboa.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Touareg
Hotel Riu Touareg
8,835 Reviews
Boa Vista, Cape Verde
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving

Just a quick note, I don't know when you are going but we were there over Christmas and our eldest son came with us with the sole intention of doing a PADI course, however when he tried to book it at the Dive Centre he was told that even tho' we would be there for a fortnight it was highly unlikely as the sea is so rough. The lifeguards that patrol the beach told us it was always like that. The whole time we were there we only had the amber flag 4 times and even then the sea was raging. In fact a guy got into difficulties and had to be rescued. The pedaloes and kayaks never left the beach and if you wanted to windsurf you had to go in a lagoon around the corner which looked pretty stagnant. I think that Thomson's mislead you into thinking that as watersports equipment is available you can use it?! After all you are paying for these in the AI package. Perhaps it may be better at other times of year, I would be interested to know.

Boa Vista, Cape...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving

Yes you are right. Sea conditions are pretty rough from late december to late march every year. Actually we have more "flat sea" days than "wavy days" and all kayacks, pedal boats, beginner windsurfers and divers can practice their sports. Have recent pics.

TTOO should inform better about this I guess.

Brighton, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving

Hi,

We are thinking of going to Boa Vista late July or early August 2010. We are very keen to go diving during our stay at the RIU Karamboa- what are the weather/sea conditions usually like at that time of year? Any comments about the PADI dive centre? Is it easier/cheaper to book the diving once we arrive at the hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Touareg
Hotel Riu Touareg
8,835 Reviews
Boa Vista, Cape Verde
Boa Vista
Boa Vista
Cape Verde
bexleyheath
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving

We also would like to know about diving in August...... Or if you know the name of the dive shop, that would be fantastic !!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving

Hi, they are called Scuba Caribe and here is the link: www.scubacaribe.com/riu_karamboa_en.htm - hopefully that should work and give you some info. Just hope the sea doesn't rage so much in August for you!

bexleyheath
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving

Thanks for that info.........Hopefully no raging sea, or I'll be raging lol...

8. Re: scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista