We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

dunfermline
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

I have walking difficulties and wonder if this hotel would be suitable for me.

Thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

The only thing I know for sure is that there are no lifts so you would need to request a ground floor room. Won't know about the rest of the layout until we go at the end of September.

dunfermline
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

thanks for that - would appreciate it if you could update me after you have been as we are looking at it for next summer. I am okay with stairs as long as there is a rail on either side so if you wouldn't mind checking that out for me. You dont notice this unless you need them. I would ask for a ground floor room anyway.

Hope you have a good holiday and look forward to hearing from you when you get back

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

We get back on 11th.October so will update in the days after that.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

The stairs are quite wide with rails as far as I can recall however the main disabled access between the two floors of the main amenity block is via a long wide ramp I would recommend you request a room adjacent to the ramp I think block 5 is the nearest. There is further info on the hotel and links to photos on my website:

http://nickmacuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

dunfermline
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

thanks for that I have had a look at your pictures and site. I notice you say there is a lack of public toilets on the ground floor. Does that mean there are none at the pool area. Is there any ground floor rooms that go out directly on to the pool area. We will need to think long and hard about this hotel as one of the other reviews mentions the long distance to reception etc.

thanks again

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

There are toilets in the poolside restaurant. It is a very large complex but access around the grounds is good level paths there werea number of wheelchair users when we were there. You probably will have mobility problems if you leave the hotel it is Very Third World.

dunfermline
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

thanks again for your reply

england
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

This is a huge and I mean huge hotel. I also have walking difficulties and it seemed like a marathon walking from reception to the dining room, to the pool and then to our room.

I think you have to accept there will be a lot of walking, I reckon the hotel complex is about half a mile long but with taking it slowly and with a stick, as I had, it was doable. There are steps which have high rails, not particularly helpful or a long, very long ramp. The steps seemed less tiring if taken carefully.

dunfermline
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

thanks for that. I do have a wheelchair which I hate using but looks like I may have to.

10. Re: RIU Karamboa - suitable for disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista
Recent Conversations