We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Essex
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Flight TOM218

We are going to Boa Vista next month and I was shocked to see the TOM218 flight that should have left Gatwick at 09.55 yesterday is still there. I saw someone had left Manchester a couple of days ago and were unable to land at Boa Vista because the pilot couldn't see. They ended up in Lanzarote. Anyone else had any problems with the fight?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Hello

This link may help:

…thomson.co.uk/thomson/en-GB/arrivals/default

Looks like the flight today is due to arrive in Boa Vista on time.

Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you hear about the Manchester flight? (as we're flying from there next month). Thanks

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Hello again: Just found this information on the above website:

Cape Verde Update Thursday 09th February 2012 @ 1430.

Thomson and First Choice can confirm that Boa Vista Airport in Cape Verde has been closed for over 48 hours due to a sandstorm. We can now confirm the

airport has now re-opened and we are currently repatriating customers back to their original UK airport.

Customers currently holidaying in Boa Vista, and due to return home Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, continue to remain in their hotels, on the same board basis until their return.

The airport closure has also impacted three further flights to Boa Vista:

TOM382 - Birmingham to Boa Vista due to depart Tuesday (7 February) has now been cancelled.

TOM218 - London Gatwick to Boa Vista due to depart today (8 February) has now also been cancelled.

All customers are being contacted directly to discuss their options regarding the holiday or receive a full refund. Customers can also call our dedicated helpline 08000 093 835 to speak to one of our advisors.

TOM874 - Manchester to Boa Vista due to depart Thursday (9 February) at 0935 has been delayed 24 hours, all customers are being contacted and are being advised to remain at home. Please check here for further updates or call our delay line on 02476 282 501.

We understand that this situation can be frustrating and we would like to reassure customers that these adverse weather conditions are rare, and we have done everything possible to minimise disruption to customers’ holidays.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

I know someone who works out there and this has never happened before, not on this scale anyway. I shouldn't worry about your flights for a months time, its the freak weather : (

I just came back from a two week holiday, it is so chilled and relaxing, you will have a great time x

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

The sky is nice and blue today, looks like the worst is over. Panic not.

Essex
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Thanks for reassuring me - we've been to Sal and are really looking forward to Boa Vista. A couple of days camped out at Gatwick would be worse than terrible!

Wales
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Unfortunately myself, husband and 9yrs old grandson were passengers on TOM 382 which was cancelled on Tues going from Birmingham. Everyone was gutted. We were told that the sandstorm wasn't expected to clear for 3 days.

The flight was originally delayed for 24hrs and accommodation would be found for that night. We were taken to 2 East Midlands Airport hotels but later that night were told that our hols was cancelled and a full refund would be given.

Had booked this holiday last year and all of us ( especially the grandson) were looking forward to some sun,sand and relaxation - instead of ice and snowbut That is Life.............

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Hi there

Can confirm that all planes were deleyed due to sand storm! I was due to go home on 6th feb to Manchester and didn't get home for another 4 days due to the viability and the incompetent Thomson reps! Got more sense calling Thomson ban home to find out what was going on than the reps at the karamboa

The flight due from Manchester on the day I was supposed to fly out landed in sal but there was no space on that island hence why those holiday makers ended up being flown elsewhere!

Essex
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

We went to Sal a few years ago and a couple we made friends with were delayed by 24 days on their return flight - something to do with the Bank Holiday Monday flight from Gatwick being cancelled. They were delighted and we hoped the same thing would happen to us. An extra 4 days sounds brilliant to me!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

Hi there

An extra 4 days sounds brilliant, but when your cat is in a Cattery, you have no annual leave left in work and work were checking up on me to make sure I was stranded and the total incompetence from the reps over the delay makes me question whether to use Thomson again!

Saying that I got the better end of the stick than those who were refused permission to land

Scarborough, England
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Flight TOM218

I was due to go on that flight too and was stuck - we have our own business and it made life very difficult. That said, I felt the reps dealt with it as best they could - they are only allowed to tell us what HQ tell them to tell us! The buck stops with Thomson and if they are giving more info directly then something is wrong with the communication line. Now we are back I am tempted to return - just for the warmth - it's freezing here!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista
Recent Conversations