We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Boa Vista

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Boa Vista

Hi,

I am looking at booking a trip to the Rui Karamboa in July. I have a couple of questions I was hoping people might be able to answer for me:

i. Is there anything to do outside the hotel? I have read that they offer excursions but I was thinking more of a night time - bars etc.

ii. Weather in July

iii. What currency you should take with you

Any additional information that I have missed off and you may think would be useful I would be keen to hear about.

Many thanks

Chris

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
659 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

Currency>Bring Euros

Things to do outside the hotels?> well its pretty limited to walking on the beach, visiting the main town and going on sightseeing trips. There is no big bar street in the main town or anywhere else. Outside the hotel there is very little development save for the few small villages for the locals.

cambridge
Level Contributor
581 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

Nothing to do outside Hotels, no bars, your a fair walk to the nearest town, with not a lot there. We were along the coast from Karamboa which we can see, 10 euros each way taxi to town, really not worth it.

København
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

I had a very different experience.

I stayed in Sal Rei for a week at christmas two years ago.

The beach south of the city had some nice restaurants, surfing remtal places and bars. The last was by far the best . Morabeza its called. A fair bit of dancing, lounging, drinking and partying going on there :) really nice people..

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g482843-d2…

regards,

Tomas

Llangollen, United...
Level Contributor
365 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

Hi Chris

I agree with Tomas, there's plenty of amazing bars and restaurants in and around Boa Vista. Morabeza beach bar has a really good Cape Verdean night on Saturdays with BBQ, fire eaters, dancers etc. and a Reggae night on Mondays from 11pm. It's within walking distance from the Karamboa or a few hundred escudos by taxi. Further along Estoril beach, there are a number of other lively beach bars - the Boa Vista Social Club, Bahia, Alisios to name a few. There are also many fantastic restaurants and bars in Sal Rei.

Year round temperatures average the mid twenties so you're pretty much guaranteed sunshine all year. Regarding currency, I'd take euros as they are accepted everywhere. ATMs on the island are fine for withdrawing cash but they only dispense escudos which you can't change back in the UK.

Hope that helps. Have a fab time :-)

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

Hi I returned from the Riu Karamboa last night, we were there for 2 weeks and had a fab time. We did not go on any thomson trips but we did go on 2 quad bike trips around the island with the scuba caribe activity centre based on the beach. These were great fun! And face us a whistle stop your of the highlights of the islands eg Santa Monica beach and the ship wreck. They were also cheap and well worth there money. As for the nearby area, thomson offer a guided walk along the beach on a Saturday/Wednesday into Sal Rei the nearly town. We did not go as it was far too hot! But we spoke to others who said that the town was ok lots of lite bars and the locals were persuasive but friendly and just wanted you to have a look at the nick nacks they had for sale. In my personal experience neither sal nor Boa Vista are not particularly the place to go if you want lots to do outside the resort as they both have small towns but honestly there is not an awful lot going on in them, however the Riu resorts both garopa/funana and Karamboa themselves offer a lot of activities and bars. As for currency on all 3 of our visits to the Cape Verde islands we have always used euros and had no problems.

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

Hi Chris, what dates are you looking to go for? We're planning to go next July too.

7. Re: Things to do in Boa Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista