We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

We are thinking of booking a holiday to the new (due to be completed in May) Melia Tortuga resort, as I have managed to find what seems an incredible all-inclusive deal for 14 nights.

There are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids - 16, 12 and 11 years.

I am a little concerned that it may not be fully completed and even if it is - will there be enough to do to keep the children occupied?

I don't want to make the mistake of booking this holiday because it is 5* and incredibly cheap and find out we have made a huge mistake.

Any advice or personal experience of the area would be very welcome please.

Sal
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Thank you for your questions Nick

In answer to the points you have raised please see below for an explanation:

1. Yes, dress code is needed in the Aqua Italian Gourmet Restaurant for dinner (long trousers and shoes).

2. As an all-inclusive resort all tips and gratuities are included in the price. However, if you wish to tip a member of staff then this can be done at the end of your stay.

3. The local currency is Escudo’s but Euro is widely accepted. (110 Escudos are 1 Euro)

GM Meliã Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Dear MTB

As an owner I have received no information from Sol Melia in relation to visiting outside off the all inclusive programme.

There has been no information REF: The use of facilities, purchasing drinks, or information REF: guests visiting the resort as an owners guest.

Hopefully you can relay some information

Regards

Sol

Sal
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Dear Sol,

Many thanks for your email. The Resort Group has informed all owners about the services we have to offer for owners, but if you did not received any info please let me know and we can send it to you .

You can send your email address to gerardo.bordoli@solmelia.com

Best regards and thanks again for your comments.

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Thank you

I have received an E mail from the Resort Gp thank you, they must be reading the boards as well.

I notice there is not much reduction for owners useing the resort, not on the rental scheme, just a 10% here or there.

I will E mail you at the address you have stated above

Kind Regards

Sol

warwickshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Just arrived back from tortuga cape verde oh what a dissapointment ,the accommodation wonderful yes 5 star 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms,many teething problems could not lock door for 3 days no phone and shower fell off the wall but all eventually fixed .Do not go expecting 5 star food as it was awful very limited choice ,my husband called it the works canteen very basic, the staff could not understand at the bars,we spoke to the manager that had come from another hotel in we think spain he agreed that they had BIG problems and that it would not change for some time,as the food comming into cv was stopped at the port waiting to be passed we would certainly have gone back to the rui garopa which is only 4 star but much better .Finally beware as the accommodation does not belong to melia but privately owned and only managed by them, cannot think of a worse set up met a few owners who bough off plan 3 years ago and going for there 1st look no wonder some are now up for sale so beware.

Leighton Buzzard...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
46. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

We returned from the Tortuga Beach on the 30th May having spent two weeks there. We booked our holiday knowing that it was a new hotel and priced quite reasonably for a 5 star. We expected some problems with new staff etc. but as we believed that the hotel was owned by Melia, we did not expect problems in all areas including poor quality food and lack of equipment, linen and staff. Once at the hotel we realised that it is only managed by Melia and they are powerless to sort out the supply problems as they apparently don’t have any purchasing power. We believe the hotel management is trying to improve standards but some of the management team need to learn how to get the best from their staff. We saw one manager actually loudly berating a waiter in front of guests and lots of the supervisors don’t appear to be doing much at all other than walk around with clip boards.

Reception was chaos when we arrived and when we eventually received a room key we could not wait any longer for assistance with luggage and trundled our cases to our apartment. When we found the room the maids were still cleaning!

The accommodation was very nice but lacked style, and the beds were comfortable. Only two plates, two mugs and some glasses in the kitchen and no tea towel. No tea or coffee which we expect in a 5 star hotel, but there was a welcoming bottle of red wine and soft drinks in the ‘fridge. Bottled water was not replenished so we had to keep on asking for bottles and carrying them back to the room. Cheap curtains were totally inadequate to block the morning sun and as lighting was on all night sleeping was difficult. Chambermaids never cleaned our room before lunch and one day not until 17.30 and their standards varied greatly. Lots of ladies with clip boards appeared to check the rooms but an open bag of rubbish stayed outside our room for several days as did a bag of dirty laundry. In spite of the clip board ladies apparently checking, we had to ask for both bags to be removed.

The outside seating areas are so dusty! This is partly because of vast tracts of very rough gravel used where one would expect to see landscaping, and partly due to ongoing building works nearby. We suggest that thick red dust will be a problem for years to come due to the vast amount of building being undertaken. Some of our clothes required bleaching to remove red dust stains when we returned to UK.

The hotel uses electric buggies to ferry supplies/cases/people around the hotel. Unfortunately the staff constantly drive them right through the patio area in front of reception where guests sit for coffee or drinks under the shade of parasols.

We have never been in any 5 star hotel which did not have waiters walking around pools and patios to take orders for drinks, and we became absolutely fed up of having to carefully carry cups of coffee or cold drinks quite some distance from the lobby bar.

The pool bar did not serve any snacks and the music was loud and repetitive but the staff were friendly and willing. One of the most pro-active staff members was the guy who gave out pool towels at the top pool! He would go and pick up towels blown away by the wind and offer to adjust parasols (if you were lucky enough to be under one as they were few and far between)

The beach bar was dreadful; In spite of having very willing and friendly staff it was totally disorganised. It is built on ‘stilts’ above the beach and food drops through the decking and attracts flies which of course then find their way to the tables. Food orders were taken on scraps of paper with nothing to indicate to which table it should be served. On the second occasion we lunched there we were served RAW chicken so did not return. We were angry and complained to the food and beverage manager who responded by asking us how long we had been in the hotel!

The main dining room lacks any style (most guests called it ‘the canteen!) and it is far too small. It could not accommodate all guests if the place was full and even when we were there people were having to queue for tables. There was never soup available unless by chance you discovered that you could ask a waiter to bring some. The food was poor quality, badly cooked, badly presented and just plain boring. The only meal we enjoyed was breakfast. We had to run around looking for plates as there are obviously not enough; cruets were in short supply and table napkins disappeared after a week or so to be replaced with paper serviettes. The bottled wine served in the restaurant and bars was just about drinkable and then it was replaced by wine from boxes or barrels and it was disgusting. There was no wine list available for us to purchase something more palatable.

Obviously this is not a 5 star hotel and we do wonder who gave the Tortuga Beach this rating. Even though the rooms are nice we don’t believe it will be possible to improve the hotel enough to make it deserve 5 stars unless the owners, The Resort Group PLC, are going to invest a lot more money. There are signs that they stopped spending e.g. gravel where there should be grass, rough stone patios to the ground floor rooms, lack of equipment, (only one industrial washing machine to cope with all linen and pool towels as well as the items previously mentioned), lack of experienced staff and lack of staff uniforms. Perhaps they intend to improve the hotel once they have received a return on their investment but in any case they should not be selling this resort as having 5 stars. It is not fair to do this to people who save for their vacation all year round and arrive expecting the dream holiday that the Melia advertising promises. We appreciate that the management are trying to improve standards, but too late for those of us who were unfortunate enough to believe the Melia marketing:

"Discover an all-inclusive 5-star resort that has everything, including a gourmet selection of fine-dining and buffet restaurants, a distinguished selection of bars and the stunning Beach Bar and Grille where you can enjoy drinks as you watch a glorious Cape Verde Sunset."- Ha, ha

"Mini convenience store (open 10am to 6pm)" – No drinks or food available from the hotel shop so hardly a convenience store.

"Superb range of restaurants!!! " The only supposed a la carte restaurant is worse than the main dining room as it offers very little choice and the food is the same standard as that served in the buffet.

"A distinguished selection of bars." Pleasant staff that badly need training. Poor quality wine and some very poor quality drinks. The lager was ok.

Hello to all who suffered with us!! Pete and Stella

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Hi,as someone who is going here on 21st June the last 2 posts don't make good reading but if you read the reviews 6 people have rated it excellent so could I suggest that you put the last 2 comments onto the reviews to give it a better balance because other potential customers may not read the forums.

Nick

Leighton Buzzard...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
48. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

It is also on the Reviews. Just don't expect 5 star.

I don't know what's going on but at the very least two unfavourable reviews have been removed from this thread. It undermines the value of this site. :o(

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Hi PeteandStella,I can't see your review on Trip advisor when I look, thats why I suggested it,did the management offer you anything to make up for the disappointment like a free week in December?

Leighton Buzzard...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Melia Tortuga Beach and Spa Resort, Sal

Hi Loydius57, We sent the same review to the Trip Advisor site & it has been acknowledged, but I guess they have to approve it before it is published.

We didn't complain that much to the hotel as so many people were making their views know to management we felt it was a waste of time. We decided to laugh at the chaos and make the best of it rather than spend our time getting annoyed.

I have emailed one of the people whose post seems to have disappeared and will let you know if we find out what happened to it.

Get answers to your questions about Ilha do Sal