We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

Which Santa Maria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
middlesex
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

hi i am looking to travel with my 2 kids aged 11 and 12 with a few friends with children of the same age,,,,we have decided on cape verde and were looking at the riu garopa or funana but now one couple decided the riu karamboa looks better<<<we are going on 23rd jan for 10 nights,,has anyone been to both and can give us any advice???? was looking to book tomorrow but now unsure of which hotel / side of island would be best,,,,,any help advice much appreciated thank you x

sal
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

hi there.

i live in santa maria and i am an independent rep. last year i spent a month in boa vista and really enjoyed it and look forward to going back. but the problem there with the riu is that its a long way from the town, capital. a taxi costs around 10 euros each way to get to town. where in sal, the hotel is walking distance to santa maria or 3euros taxi each way. i personally think sal would be better because of the age group of children as they may want to go out more, maybe to surf, fish, quads. also its a little bit more expensive in bv for families. i hope you find this info helpful.

middlesex
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

thank you,yes i did find it helpful,,,,we've decide on the riu funana as we can get a better deal than in the riu garopa and am going to book it tomorrow,,getting excited already,,hoping to do the boat trip to see the whales etc and maybe the boys will do the quads. someone has mentioned theirs a lot of flies around is there?? and we heard it is very windy?? dont mind if its breezy but do love the hot weather,,,thanks again for taking the time to reply and any advice will be appreciated x

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

the funana and garopa are all the same just go with the best deal

remember this is an undeveloped island so not much going on

Santa maria is a lovely walk from the rIu

the boys at the entrance beach to funana did a superb island tour.

middlesex
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

i have been reading on here as much as possible,,putting in questions in the top of page,,,others have asked same questions before but unluckily for me the replies have always been removed :( .....all we want is nice warm weather,,nice food and a bit of watchable entertainment...hopefully it wont be too cold and there wont be loads of flies like i have read,,we're booking with first choice in the morning as can get 10 nights with them and a better deal than with thomson even though they are now sister companies.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

I am quite intrested in the price of the taxis as you say it should cost 10 euro.

I am sure there are reports of the price being set at a staggering 80 Euros

sal
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

no. the riu at boa vista for a taxi to the capital is maximum 10 euros each way. if yr lucky and use regular then they may reduce to around 8 euros but santa maria in sal you can walk into town from riu or take taxi at 3 euros. you will hear so much nonsense on trip advisor about cape verde but this is defo the right taxi prices.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

I hope thats the case Blinks69 as I would love to go and have a look around the town and put some money into the local economy.

8 euros is a lot better than 80 haha.

Well I guess I shall find out next week for sure.

sal
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

you will like bv. the beaches are beautiful but i will warn you the excursions are very expensive there. some agencies charge around 60 to 80 euros for island tour. my advice to you is find a nice driver and go private .try and get more people and its really cheap. im happy to forward numbers on private message to you if you want and they can do tours for you cheaper. let me know enjoy bv.

middlesex
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

well we've booked today the funana for 10 nights in january,,long way off but glad we booked early as its going up already

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cant decide santa maria or boa vista,,please help???

Just off topic...sorry.

How have you managed to get your boys off school for a holiday, my childrens school won't let them, I would much rather go in term time, much cheaper, less busy.

Lucky you...Have a good time!

Get answers to your questions about Santa Maria