We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Injections

guernsey
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Injections

I have just booked a holiday to Santa Maria for next march. The man in Thomas Cook said we have to have yellow fever injections but I've looked on the internet and it says you only need them if thre has been yellow fever where u live. And I'm not aware of the uk having yellow fever.

So I'm cunfused

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Injections

There are about three injections recommended for Cape Verde but your GP will have a list and recommend them. As far as I know yellow fever isn't one of them Polio, hepatitas were two of them but his advice is best

guernsey
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Injections

Thank you. I will talk to my doctor

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Injections

You are not required to have any vaccinations to come into Cabo Verde. We don't have yellow fever here.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Injections

The word is recommended by the GP's

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Ilha do Sal, Santa Maria
Level Contributor
454 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Injections

You are only required to have Yellow Fever if you are coming from a Yellow Fever infected country, which assuming it's Guernsey, you're not!

There are no vaccinations required for Cape Verde but there are general vaccinations recommended like Typhoid, Hep A etc which are usually free (although there's a shortage of Typhoid in the UK at the moment so you do have to pay). You'll also be advised to have rabies & Hep A which cost. I've never had those ones but it's personal preference. The best advice has already been given - have a chat with your surgery, ideally at least 6 weeks before you depart. Enjoy your trip!

guernsey
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Injections

That's great , thank you all for all the advice

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Injections

Mostly I agree with check with your doctor. However if your doctor recommends yellow fever I am afraid I have to disagree. Lots of people have no clue where Cabo Verde is.

guernsey
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Injections

It wasn't my doctor who recommended the yellow fever jab, it was my travel agent and I don't think he understood . The yellow fever jabs are to make sure we don't bring yellow fever into Cape Verde . If anyone comes to cape Verdi from a country that has had yellow fever they have to Produce a certificate to prove they don't have it. Sorry if I confused you

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Injections

Hi munanaGuernsey, no I understood don't worry, it was more of a general comment that doctors often make assumptions about Cabo Verde and give the wrong information.....

guernsey
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Injections

Thank you rashyroo. Can't wait to visit your island. Friends have told me how lovely it is and everyone is really friendly :))

Get answers to your questions about Santa Maria
Recent Conversations