We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music from Cabo Verde

Habich
Level Contributor
844 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Music from Cabo Verde

Where can you buy Music from Cabo Verde in Mindelo? About what do CD's cost?

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music from Cabo Verde

Well, I'm currently listening to a CD of local music (from a guitarist called Voginha), which I bought at Livraria Nho Djunga. I really need to write up a proper review of the place but imagine a guitar shop crossed with a bookshop, then add on a bar and live music performances. was lucky enough to catch Voginha playing live but I'm fairly sure that they stock a small but quality selection of other local acts too (the owner is a musician who knows his stuff). think the cd cost something like 12 or 15 euros.

Livraria nho djunga is near la bodeguita, close to the junction of Avenue Latrice Lumumba and Rua Senador Veraz Cruz (on the latter street).

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
658 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music from Cabo Verde

Cesaria Evora is one of Cape Verdes best known singers of the typical Morna genre of music and verse. Sadly now no longer with us, she only found fame much later in her life. She has a number of albums which can be obtained around the islands,and in on line stores. I was fortunate enough to be in a small restaurant where a local group of musicians were playing her music and singing her songs.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Music from Cabo Verde

Yes, on weekends you can find small groups and they are quite entertaining as I remember from Mindelo.

Allthough my best memories are from Mayra Andrade, she's not so renown as Evora but personally I thing she sings at the same levem :-)

IX

Level Contributor
8 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music from Cabo Verde

We just bought some CDs at the Harmonia music house at Mindelo. (http://www.harmonia.cv/boutiques.php). We were so glad that we get to listen to various CDs before choosing which one to buy. The store is on the ground floor at the corner of a two-story yellow building in front of the Mindelo City Hall. Typical price for a new CD is 15 euro.

Reply to: Music from Cabo Verde
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mindelo
Recent Conversations