We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo

Katwijk, The...
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tsavo

We want to go for 3 nights in September to Tsavo, we are a couple with a child of 10 years old.

We are looking for clean and good (midrange) lodge(s).

Should we go to Tsavo West, East or both?

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo

Hi there

If going for 3 nights then I'd recommend going to both. We did both as part of our safari in Feb and stayed at Voyager Ziwani (our fave in West) and Gladessa (excellent place and even better location for animals) and Voi Safari Lodge both in the East.

I've not been but Kilaguni I have been told is better for game in terms of it's location in Tsavo West and it is 5-start accomodation. We loved Ziwani for its setting, around a lake with hippos and crocs in, plus we went on a bush walk and night drive there too as it is based just outside the park, right next to the Ziwani gate.

We booked with Glorious Safaris.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Leeds

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Dumaguete City...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo

I loved Satao Camp in Tsavo East. It's a tented camp (great tents) and was my favorite place to stay on my safari last year.

I did Tsavo East and West, as well as Amboseli. I preferred East to West, but I would agree that in 3 nights you should do both.

sidcup
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo

Hi, i would definitely recommend both east and west. we visited both last october, and although generally east is better than west because of the animals and terrain, there are different types of animals in both. We were lucky enough to see the big 5 over the 2 destinations so definitely try for both east and west!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsavo

Hi,

well, i would start with one night in Tsavo West (the drive from the coast is longer to Tsavo West, so you have a shorter way back from the Tsavo East to the coast) followed by 2 nights Tsavo East.

Depending on your budget, my favourite has been Severin Safari Lodge (have been to Voyager Ziwani, Ngulia Safari Lodge and Ngulia Safari Camp aka Rhino valley lodge). Ziwani is a little bit out of the way despite it was nice. But for firsttimers i would recommand Severin Safari Camp, Kiliaguni Serena Lodge (stayed there for a drink and could have a look at the property, but we prefer smaller places) or if you are looking for something cheaper with great views, the Ngulia Safari Camp, not the lodge.

Actually for both Tsavos they are still keeping the 24hours and not the single-entry rule, so actually no big difference if you are staying inside or nearby the parks.

In Tsavo East - well, it depends what you want - great views are offered by the Voi Safari Lodge. Ashni Aruba is a newer one and offers tents and rooms as accomodations types. Satao, Ndololo, Galdessa and Sentrim Tsavo (by the last i am not sure) are unfenced.

Voi Wildlife Lodge, Zomeni Lion Hill, Red Elephant, Manyatta Camp (belongs to the Voi Wildlife Lodge Group and is a separated part of them), Mashariki Camp (prefered by italians) are located about 5 minutes drive outside the Voi Gate.

It is always a personal decision and everyone prefers other places. With a children and 2 nights e.g. a place with a pool would be nice if your children prefers this.

I would take 2 nights at the Tsavo East because there i found the game spotting a little bit easier because of the landscape. I personal love the landscape in the western part of Tsavo very much.

Bye

Chrissy

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsavo

We loved Galdessa Camp in Tsavo East. I'd certainly recommend visiting both East and West as the landscapes are different. Whilst Ngulia is probably needing a bit of TLC it does offer great cliff top views over the plains and the rhino sanctuary.

Donald

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsavo

Have a look @ impala Safari Lodge. Have'nt stayed there myself, but Rates are very attractive. Also has a pool.

http://www.impalasafarilodge.com/

Stef

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsavo

If it is 3 nights I will recommend you do Tsavo East,west and Amboseli.

While at East I stayed at Lion hill lodge-it was suitable because I had a clear park view,we also have Voi safari lodge,Voi wildlife,Ngulia safari lodge,Kibo safari camp in Amboseli,among others

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsavo

KTz - why post on an old, obsolete thread?

"We want to go for 3 nights in September".

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsavo

apart from that it is plain slly to try and do three parks in three days.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsavo

If you travel with a 10 year old, you should look at the Voi Safari Lodge, as you have a great Location, good pool and when Game is around you can go down to through the tunnel to the Waterhole an see the game from very close range.

Tsavo East is a must.

Tsavo West is for the Landscape, Poachers lookout, Roring Rocks (when you clime these it is where they got the stone of Lion King on which the King seats,) For the Kid interesting as he knows the Movie.....Mzima Springs and much more,

For the Lodges Ngulia (but sadly the lodge is a little tired) if you do not want to miss the Leopard or if you need a Spa the Severin Safari camp or one of the most stunning Points in Kenya

is the Kilanguni Serena Ldoge

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo