We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

London
4 posts
2 reviews
Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

I'm planning a 10-day beach holiday with boyfriend in October and we're thinking of going to Zanzibar. We're quite fussy about nice beaches and we're heard some mixed reviews about the coast on the island of Zanzibar due to the extreme tidal differences. Is this something to watch out for? Should we avoid a particular side of the island (I've heard it's worst on the East Coast). At the moment we are looking at staying maybe 5 days at the Italian-owned Hakune Majiwe on the South-East Coast, and then 5 days at Ras Nungwi on the North Coast. Both have pools which sound like a rarity on the island. If anyone has any advice on better resorts, I'd be most grateful. We like a bit of luxury, but don't want to lose the 'spit 'n' sawdust' feel. I like to dive and snorkel; my boyfriend's not a diver but will snorkel and is good at surfing/windsurfing. Both of us are good at lying on our backs and doing nothing!

South Africa
1 post
1. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

Hello there,

To give some feedback, Ras Nungwi is a good selection as it is close to what i think are the best beaches in Zanzibar.

Mnemba Island is close to the resort and is by far the best snorkelling (sometimes a little deep) and diving spot in Zanzibar.

The beaches and night life in Nungwi are in my opinion the best on the Island. It normally attracts a lot of foreigners travelling through Africa with the average age between 25 to 35.

A bar called 'Cholos' is the absolute best laidback beach sundowner spot I have encountered.

I have not spent to much time in the South of Zanzibar, but I will tell you that it would be hard to beat what you are going to in Ras Nungwi.

All I can say is have fun.....

charlotte, nc
1 post
2. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

I was looking into the Hakuna Majiwe also. Have you decided or heard anything about it? Thanks in advance!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
430 reviews
3. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

Spent three nights on Mnemba Island last month - it is absolutely stunning and the beach was the best we saw. Very expensive though - see my report I am posting today.

We also stayed at Breezes - very nice hotel, but water very shallow at low tide although interesting to walk out to the reef, but lots of watersports and good pool. Dongwe Club has worse Beach still and only 6 people staying there mid-June, as two we knew from safari checked out and transferred to Breezes. Sultan's Palace we walked past with worse beach still.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

I stayed at Mnemba two years ago, when on honeymoon. You can see pics and more info at http://www.africahoneymoon.com/mnemba.htm

It really is as beautiful as people say!

Aaron

london
11 posts
5. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

They don’t have a pool, but they best service and the nicest design, the rooms are big and wooden floor.

Sea photos:

community.webshots.com/user/casajambiani

www.casa-delmar-zanzibar.com

london
11 posts
6. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

They don’t have a pool, but they best service and the nicest design, the rooms are big and wooden floor.

Sea photos:

community.webshots.com/user/casajambiani

www.casa-delmar-zanzibar.com

Infocasa_delmar@hotmail.com

Markus

Milton Keynes, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

Im looking to go to Ras Nungwi for the second leg of our honeymoon after a safari. Ras Nugwi is half board and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the cost of drinks and lunch there?

wuz
ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

Hi there have just returned from holidays in zanzibar. We spent a week Nungwi. We had dinner in ras nungwi. Its a fabulous hotel. Ras nungwi is a ten minute drive from the village and when the tide is out you can walk around the coast to the village in about 20mins. We could swim in the sea at any time of the day. There was never a problem The tide does go in and out but not very far at all. If you looking for luxory stay in ras nungwi the rest of the places are not comparable and nowhere else has a pool in that area. Snorkelling in pemba was amazing. There is nothing in nungi only a few bars / restaurants and the village. If you like lounging on the beach you will love the place.

london
1 post
9. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

hi there we have just returned from Zanzibar, stayed at Bluebay Beach resort. The hotel is wonderful, the best pool I have ever seen and the beach and sea is exceptional. The tide is nothing worth worrying about and there was no sea weed during our stay and we were told there never is. The beach is spectacular. If you want to relax, its hard to beat. We did some diving (my husband and I) and we went to Mnemba which seems to be the best place on the island. The hotel has a 5 star PADI registered dive school so the staff are really good. If you are looking for a really good time in luxury this is the place.....enjoy

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
227 reviews
10. Re: Where are the best beaches in Zanzibar?

HI! We just returned from 4 nites at Hakuna Majewa and couldn't have picked a better place to stay! After 3 weeks of hard safari driving (over 1,500 miles of rough roads) we wanted something small and comfortable, not a big all inclusive resort like Cancun, MX and this place fits the bill! Once you arrive you kick off your shoes and never put them on till you depart. It's very casual. The 18 rooms are in sets of two each two under a giant grass roof w/ very large porches all "on" the beach. There are a few bushes between you and the acutual beach itself but it's all sand, no sidewalks or concrete. The large "all purpose" room has a reception desk at one end, a very nice bar and lounge at the other end and on the beach side with great views of the ocean are the dining tables. no phones, so an employee walks around from room to room in the afternoon with an extensive menu taking your order for lunch or dinner and the times. The rooms are very large as are the baths and there is a separate room for your luggage w/ lots of shelving. Each room has just one queen size netted bed so if you want to bring the kids (or in our situation - 2 single, straight women), they will set up a twin bed and netting in a jffy. The room was still very large even with the 2 beds. The rooms also have a coffee maker wtih tea and coffee. The beach is very clean and very quiet but at low tide it does go out very far so the pool is perfect. The pool is very large for the size lodge and crystal clear. I think they use desalinized water to fill the pool as you can float without trying. The only down side on the pool is 90% of it is over 6'. When we were visting the manager had some people looking at the pool so it's possible they are going to make more of a shallow end. The place caters to Europeans and mostly couples and some adults as there is nothing for kids to do there. The food was better than average with an Italian flair and the staff was more than helpful in setting up day tours to the Spice farm. One complaint is their electric. Usually in Tanzania you use a converter for England but since this place is owned by Italians, alot of their items are from Italy so the converter I brought didn't work. They may have one you can borrow but I'd double check with them on what you need before you arrive. Not too many people know about this gem so get there before the word gets out!! I give this place two thumbs up for sure!!