We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight or Ferry from Dar

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
170 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flight or Ferry from Dar

First of all, I'm trying to find out the cost of the Fast Ferry to Zanzibar and the cost of a flight to Zanzibar both from Dar. I'm coming up with $35 US for the Ferry but can't find any dates on the web page so I don't know if it's current. I can find a timetable for flights on Precision Air (summer 2007 schedule) but no costs. If anyone knows the cost of these two forms of transportation that would be helpful.

Next, does anyone have a recommendation of the ferry vs. flying. How is the sea crossing (I do get motion sick but carry dramimine)? Is it rough? How is the flight? Is it a little rough too? Any feedback for either or both forms of transport is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight or Ferry from Dar

Hi

The ferry pricce is correct, i am pretty sure there is a $10 port tax to add to that.

When you add the cost of the taxi from the port to the airport in Dar it is almost the same price to fly and less stress, flight cost around $70 with Precision air.

If you do take the ferry & taxi option allow plentlyof time to cross Dar the traffic jams there are bad.

Rough or not depends on the weather :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight or Ferry from Dar

Like Achnab says, if arriving by air it makes sense just to fly on and skip the Ferry.

Coastal fly this route with others.

www.coastal.cc for timetable and costs.

The ferry can be beautiful but it can also be hell afloat.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight or Ferry from Dar

RTWer... I always take the ferry but I'm usually in the city center of Dar so it's no problem to get to the ferry port. It's usually not too rough and they allow you to go out on the deck (if there's room) to get fresh air. Sometimes, especially when the water is even a little choppy, some on board get sea sick and that's not all that pleasant. I've never paid a fee when entering or leaving Zanzibar by ferry; but things change by the day sometimes. You do have a small exit fee at the airport. I think the $35 fee for non-residents of Tz is the correct price for the ferry (each way).

The traffic in Dar is hectic and at the wrong times of the day there are terrible traffic jams. Coming into the city in the mornings is bad and going out in the late afternoon is also bad. Some taxi drivers know how to get around these jams, so just close your eyes and go with the flow of things.

4. Re: Flight or Ferry from Dar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 12:18