We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

glasgow
4 posts
Save Topic
Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

Is it’s ok to fly through nairobi in terms of safety? Is it a good idea to book flights now for November when the situation in Kenya won’t be known. Are there other ways to fly from Zanzibar to the UK without going through Kenya?

Any help would be appreciated. Going to be booking flights soon!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

BA has a flight out of DAR. Don't believe it's daily, and it's an early 9am. There is a very early morning departure from ZNZ to make this specific BA flight.

However, there are more connections thru NBO. You'd be flying from ZNZ right into the JKIA/NBO airport and should be fine. Even during the recent upheaval, there were absolutely no problems at the airports. Nor, for that matter were tourists ever involved in the riots or hurt.

Note: Flight cost from ZNZ/DAR is less expensive than ZNZ/NBO.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

Hi,

Assuming you are in Glasgow, KLM + Kenya Airways would probably be the best way to go, via AMS and NBO.

Sadly as previous post mentioned BA do not fly everyday and the return is indeed early morning. Kenya Airways have better time slots and too my knowledge there is no reason to expect problems in Nairobi.

Also it may well be worth checking Emirates into DAR via Dubai. The Emirates fare is usually lower (due to lower taxes) than other carriers, however this route will add a little extra journey time.

As ever feel free to reply with any questions.

Kind regards

Tarquin

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

jennijo,

Relax, I came through NBO on 5th January. Disturbance? what disturbance. Booked again for December this year.

BA from DAR, Swiss via Zurich, KLM via Amsterdam, probably others. don't fret.

Actually BA & KLM would add on GLA leg at little extra. Going DAR-AMS-GLA would get you home quicker by missing out London. I do the MAN-AMS-DAR trip for this reason. Leave DAR around 23.00 change at AMS early morning and home by lunch time.

glasgow
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

Hi everyone, Thanks much for your posts. You read so much stuff in the news, you don't know what to believe so it's great to hear 'from the horses mouth'. Looking forward to my holiday - don't think I've every booked a flight this far in advance. Thanks. jenn

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

Hi,

Just returned from Arusha, traveling though the Nairobi airport and taking the shuttle. No problems at all.

Kathy and Manuel

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

Thanks for that. Always nice to know facts when there is so much wild speculation about.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

The two major contenders in the past national elections have reached a compromise yesterday in a power sharing deal. Hopefully this will cause the conflicts to keep their ugly heads down. I think they are tired of fighting, and I hope so.

8. Re: Flying from Zanzibar to UK via Kenya.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 22:19