We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Chumbe Island

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Chumbe Island

I would like to do a day trip to Chumbe Island to snorkel around the the reefs however, I am wondering whether as a marine protected area, the number of visitors allowed are limited? Will I have problems booking a trip through a tour operator?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

They do limit the number of visitors on day-trips. This should be prebooked. So have your tour operator arrange for you.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

I think I remember Chumbe telling me the following:

They only allow a certain number of people on the island at a time. If the rooms are all booked, then there is no room for others on the island. That means to me that the capacity of the rooms is equal to the capacity for visitors on the island. That, to me, would mean that they won't pre-book day-trips, but that you could go on the island on the day of if the rooms are not full. BTW, my experience has been that the rooms are frequently full.

If you are interested in a day-trip, there used to be a trip called Safari Blue that seemed to be quite popular. I'm not sure if it still exists: Yes, looks like it does www.safariblue.net

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
976 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

Here is the quote from Chumbe's website:

Day trips are possible to the Chumbe Island Coral Park. However, as a Marine Protected Area (MPA) we carefully manage the numbers of guests on the island at any one time (maximum 14). As the facilities are primarily focused towards our lodge guests, we can only take day trip bookings when we have availability in the lodge. This means we cannot take advance bookings for day trips. If you would like to book a day trip it is best to contact the Chumbe office two days before the day you would like to visit to check on availability. The office can be reached on: +255 (0)24 2231040

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

Thank you everyone for your responses, unfortunately accommodation is full for the days I would like to visit as I tried to book a stay there myself.

MANCHESTER UK
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

THats a shame. Its a great place to chill for a couple of days. Would recommend a couple of nights on Chumbe.

Dubai
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

Dont book thru a tour operator-go to the hotel direct. When we were there the island managers told us people get ripped off by booking through tour operators and then being turned away by Chumbe on the day because they are full!

7. Re: Day Trip to Chumbe Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:22