We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

Hello.

I have a client who just got on a plane in Dubai, headed to Nairobi. She just misplaced her Yellow Fever Certificate at the previous airport and now she is extremely distressed to know that when she lands in Nairobi she'll be getting on a shuttle bus to Namanga and we all know that they are very likely to ask for her YF certificate. She got the jab but lost the certificate.

Can we brainstorm a little here some strategies to help her out? We've already discussed trying to get something faxed from her medical clinic but they are already closed for the weekend. Any other ideas to help her get through the border?

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
974 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

If they are from the US, their state might have an immunization registry that their local doctor could access and fax. If you try contacting their regular doctor, they should have someone on call that you can contact to see if this is a possibility.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

She got her certificate in Saudi Arabia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

I've passed through that border about 10 times and no-one has ever asked me for my yellow fever certificate. So hopefully she'll be lucky! Otherwise, I have heard of people who have lost their certificate and when they get to the border and insist that they have had the vaccination, the border guards just ask for a bribe and then let them through. I don't agree with giving bribes....but it might be her only option.

Or get a bit of paper typed, and pass it off as a yellow fever vaccine, or an exemption letter (e.g. if you are allergic to eggs you can't have the vaccine). The border guards will never know. They will just be looking for an official bit of paper. Put a rubber stamp on it...they like rubber stamps in Kenya. This is very dishonest i know...oops!

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
737 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

If she had time before the shuttle I would say to print something up and have one of those stamp guys on the street make a stamp for her. Since it doesn't sound like that is the case-Jamani's suggestion of chai is always an option:)

First I would try and use someone elses from the bus. Chances are they wont look to see if the name matches. If they do notice then....... I got through once without my card by pointing to all the Kenyan stamps I had in my passport--as long as she just has some stamps from other countries-like Saudi Arabia-she just needs to be adamant. "of course Ive have my shot, look, angalia! at these stamps in my passport-all of these countries require it!" and make sure to apologize a bunch for having lost it.

One other thing-medical offices in the states have call service folk that answer the phone when office is closed. I don't know about SA but if they do then they may be able to reach a Dr?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

Wow! Thanks to everyone for all the creative ideas. Some really good (some mostly interesting) ideas.

I just spoke with her and it turns out that they had no interest in her YF vaccination at the border. They were completely interested in the fact that her dollars were the old version and gave her quite a difficult time about it. Was it the perfect distraction or do they normally not care about YF anyway? Not sure, but for her it doesn't matter - she's in Arusha now.

Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

Good result Brian,

Wrong $$, Might just have drawn the fire a bit.

7. Re: Lost Yellow Fever Certificate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 21:19