We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

I will be in Zanzibar in late july and early August, and am liiking for recommendations for hotels in stonetown and paje. Budget or a bit better

is preferred. thank you kindly.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

All the hotels are already reviewed by TA people, and listed under "Hotels on Zanzibar" on the left here. You can list them by price or popularity.

You are going at a peak time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

I'm currently in Zanzibar and have stayed in both Stone Town and in Paje. In Stone Town for budget try to get the Jambo Guesthouse - which seems to be a popular if basic favorite. I haven't stayed there but it came highly recommended. Another fully booked one was the St. Monica Guesthouse, which has a variety of rooms for under $50. Stone Town is a little more expensive than we expected. The Clove Hotel looked nicest to me, with large, light fan rooms. If you want A/C you're looking at over $70. If you can afford it fan rooms at the beautiful 236 Hurumzi are amazing - we are saving to have one night there - $185 a night!! The Tembo Hotel and the Africa House Hotel are also getting above the $100 mark. Avoid the Shanghani House and the Dhow Inn - which charged $90 and the rooms are very cramped and dark. The other let down was that Baghani House was under going renovation when we were there.

In Paje, which is where we are now, the cheapest option is Kinazi Bugalows. They are not on the internet but they are wood bungalows, hot water, net, standing fan. Most look over the sea and catch the breeze, so fans are rendered pointless at the moment. About $25 a night, and they are very suitable. Next up are the rather more built up options - Arabian Nights and Paje By Night. Both at between $70-100 a night. You really don't need A/C here, because of the wind, but if you want it you are looking at $95 at Paje By Night and similar for Arabian Nights. Arabian Nights has a pool aswell, which is nice. Paje is the best beach we have seen in all our travels so definitely take the time to spend a week here. Hope thats helpful.

Email me if you need anymore help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

Recently stayed at Zenji Hotel and loved the place. I am not a fan of Stone Town (I run to the north beach as soon as my feet hit Zanzibar soil), but had to stay there to meet up with some friends for dinner.. Lovely king four poster bed with aircon.

It is quite close to the ferry as well.

4. Re: looking for hotels in Stonetown and Paje

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Island