We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

London
8 posts
Save Topic
Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

Are there any direct flights from Seregeti to Zanzibar (without having to connect at Arusha)? What might they cost?

Thanks all

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

I have not heard of any.

Most of the aircraft on thses Routes, Coastal, Regonal, Zanair etc., are like 'taxis and stop at strips to pick up and drop off Pax as required. Traffic levels are quite light so the chances of getting a plane full from one place, Lobo, Serenera to ZNZ are remote.

Do you have a reason for wanting this? If there are more than four or five in your party you could consider a charter.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

Taking the regular scheduled flights you will need to go to Dar then over to Zanzibar, or to Arusha or Tanga, then to Zanzibar.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

Wrong way around Karl.

Serengeti flights stop at Arusha then Zanzibar before going on to DAR and Selous.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

You're right, it does.

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

My safari operator (Good Earth) has supposedly booked me a flight from the northern Serengeti to Zanzibar. It's about a 2-hour flight according to the times I was given. Not sure how many stops that includes or where. I just hope I don't have to change planes in the process.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

We flew from the Grumeti area to Zanzibar on Air Excel. The plane picked us up at 11:00, we stopped to pick up passengers in the Seronera area and then got to Arusha around 12:30. In Arusha you could stay on the plane or get off for a few minutes while they picked up more passengers. We ended up getting into Zanzibar about 2:45.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

I rarely go by the "times" given. TIA - This Is Africa!

The flight can be late arriving to collect you. Then depending on whether other paxs have to be picked-up/dropped-off between there and Arusha, you might have stop at Manyara. Flights stop at Arusha to collect paxs or sometimes a change of plane. Then off to Zanzibar - 1/hr flight time.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,933 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

Idnas71. "has supposedly booked me a flight" I would highlight that word 'supposedly' if I could.

UNless you are a party on a private charter you will be hopping in and out of several strips on the way to Arusha where you will continue to Zanzibar or change planes, depending on load factors, and fly to Zanzibar. Two hours is 'about' right but to see what is involved read chefsu's post on Manyara. It is part of the fun of Safari travel. Have a good trip.

9. Re: Serengeti to Zanzibar by air?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 05:16