We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
eating out

Planning for Janaury 2010 and this will be first time to Zanzibar (probably safari first in Tanzania)

I am a bit worried at some postings saying the only places to eat on Zanzibar is at hotels

- we love getting out with the locals and trying different eating places each night (like Thailand or Malaysia)

Does this mean Zanzibar is not for us? - I would not like to be remote and away from some bars/resaurants

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks, Wendy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out

You could try the Forodhani Gardens which is quite cool.

Some of the places close to the hotels are quite good. I ate at a small schack in Kendwa, and the food was brilliant (chicken and rice with spinach) it cost me about $US4 without the tangawizi!

I wouldn't travel too far from where you are staying. Try to have an early dinner or even a lunch. Or organise with the hotel that a guard will pick you up at a certain time (at night).

In Stone town I felt fine walking around in the early evening. But did get a taxi back at night.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out

There are always local places to eat, and the quality of food varies. If you're adventurous then venture out and see what the locals do. Zanzibar town has lots of restaurants to enjoy.

Goa
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out

My vote is for Forodhani Gardens. Every evening a buffet of seafood magically appears. You can pick up almost anything for 1$ and the food is prepared right infront of you so why shouldn't it be safe. Some nice restaurants all over, just go on an give it a try & drink bottled water.

4. Re: eating out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 05:17