We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Brighton, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Hi all,

We planning to get married on Zanzibar in July 2010. We're going to spend a week at Unguja Lodge and have our wedding there. Seems like a lovely place and we're planning a sunset wedding, so this seemed to be the best side of the island. (I've heard the East doesn't get great sunsets?).

For the second week we'd like to move somewhere else but deciding where is causing the problems. We'd still like to keep it 'beach villa' orientated and would like somewhere that's at least as good quality as Unguja in terms of accomodation and service (if not a little better as it's like a mini-honeymoon while we're away). We're looking for something small and intimate so we can just lay around on a nice beach or terrace and dine privately from time to time. We don't want lots to do or any kind of nightlife really, it's not what this trip is about.

At the moment we're looking and Fundu Lagoon, on Pemba, although this is a little more than we wanted to spend (just to give you an idea of our budget), it does seem special. We're also thinking maybe somewhere on the east coast, after being on the west.

We going round in circles trying to pick somewhere we'd love to hear any suggestions anyone has.

On a another note, does anyone know if the wind is likely to affect our weddings?

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Hi, Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

Fundu Lagoon is wonderful and should you choose to stay here I don't think that you will be disappointed. You could also have a look at Matemwe Bungalows or try one of their retreats where you have your own butler and chef, that is in Matemwe which is on the North East of the island. You could also have a look at Kilindi and see how prices compare. There is also the palms which is down on the south east coast.

It is not very windy in July so should not affect you at all. The east coast is great for sunrises, if you are a morning person :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

I'd agree with AfricanDaydreamer (although I don't knowFundu).

There are some nice suites at Shooting Star, which will gave you space and privacy (which you will get used to at Unguja), and you can just see the sunset from your roof-top open-air lounge.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Not only will Fundu Lagoon be more expensive, you have to consider the flights and costs of these to fly from ZNZ to Pemba and back to ZNZ.

Matemwe Retreat as mentioned, way too expensive.

There's Ras Nungwi on northern tip of island. Also, Blue Bay, though a bit larger, has recently been completely refurbished.

There's Kendwa Breezes on the northwest side of island... relatively small.

As to Shooting Star... gets mixed reviews!

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Hello,

Firstly let me start by saying that you have indeed set yourself quite a hard task as Unguja is a fantastic little lodge. If you are looking to treat yourself after Unguja you probably will need to up the budget a bit. I would recommend Fundu Lagoon, Kilindi or the Palms as my top ‘treat’ destinations. There are of course several lodges similar to Unguja that could also be possibilities but choose carefully as you already have one of the best in that category. If budget cannot stretch to that extent then look at one of the Baobab Suites at Fumba Beach Lodge.

As ever read the reviews on this site and / or talk to a good agent.

I hope this helps.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

You could also have a look at Kasha Boutique Hotel it is in Matemwe just a little further along from Matemwe Bungalows, they have 11 villas and each has their own private pool. It is very reasonably priced I think. The only bugger is they do not have a beach at high tide.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 06:21
Brighton, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Thaks for all of the replies.

We're still look at Fundu as a possibility but as I said before it's srtretching us a bit too much. If we can't find anything else we like then we'll probably go for it but we're still looking for something a little cheaper to extend our stay.

Kindili, Matemwe Retreat and The Palms are all lovely but again out of the question. Fumba is already full.

We're still getting married at Unguja. We've secured a couple nights at Pongwe - we know it's pretty basic but we've heard a lot about the beach and just had to give it a go for a few days.

Now we're down to Kasha which has some good (buy 4 get 6 nights) offers on, Kono Kono, Mchanga and Echo Beach. We've read the reviews, checked them out and are having a hard time picking one.

Matemwe Bungalows are still in there as well. Does anyone know why they are a bit more expsnsive than the likes of Kasha and Kono Kono? Yet you don't seem to get as much for your money?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Now we've no

Valencia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Did you try Shooting Star? The Suites are amazing and extremely good value. They are very private and even have their own pool.

Brighton, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Again thanks for all of your replies. Things seem to be changing on a daily basis at the moment and we're trying to nail it down, but there's just so many options!

For some reason Unguja as now said they can't provide a wedding when we would like, so we've had to come up with another plan.

We've managed to hold the Asali Suite at Matemwe Beach Village for a week, including the wedding. (this is something we had wanted in the first place but couldn't seem to get it). Followed by a week at Unguja and finishing off with two days either at Pongwe or in Stone Town.

We've also been offered weddings and stays at Kasha and Kono Kono. We're not really sure if either of these are any better (quality, service, privacy)? Can't seem to find much out about them.

I think the wedding at Matemwe in a almost definate it's just whether we go to Kasha, Kono Kono or Unguja afterwards (seaview villa without the plunge pool) Although the weddings at Kono Kono look good with the sunset...

Kasha is probably too close to Matemwe, so any ideas of which is better out of Unguja or Kono Kono? The latter looks a little more luxurious (from what I can tell from the website - modern, plunge pool etc) although we've heard a lot of good stuff about Unguja and it's a chance to try the other side of the island.

Any ideas? Any more advice? Sorry to go on!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

""We've managed to hold the Asali Suite at Matemwe Beach Village for a week, including the wedding. (this is something we had wanted in the first place but couldn't seem to get it). Followed by a week at Unguja and finishing off with two days either at Pongwe or in Stone Town.""

Matemwe Beach and Pongwe are both in the same area. I wouldn't go from Matemwe to Unguja (southwest coast) and then return all the way back north for Pongwe. Conclude your time with the 2/days in Stone Town. Take the Town Tour of this World Heritage Site, enjoy lunch at seaside restaurants, visit markets, last-minute shopping, etc.

Can't comment on the other properties.

Brighton, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding & Short Honeymoon advice

Thanks again, as Unguja looks a lot like Matemwe we've decided to do Kono Kono for a week after our wedding at Matemwe. Followed but 1 - 2 days at 236 Hurumzi to finish off.

Sound good?