We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

working contract

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
working contract

Hi All. My daughter has been offered a 1 year teaching contract in Zanzibar with a salary of $300 per month. The people concerned say that the average monthly living cost there is around $250 per month. This all seems incredibly low to me. Could anyone please let me know whether this amount would in fact carry someone? her accomodation is included inthe package.

many thanks in advance.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: working contract

Many Tanzanians live on that amount, but they also live in poverty. Your daughter probably doesn't know how to live like that. It will help when the accommodation is included, but not by much. If she does this then her family will probably need to support her from time to time.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: working contract

In my personnal opionion as an expat, it is a very low salary and I would not be able to survive unless I did absolutely nothing all month. Is food included? If not then it is going to be very tough.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: working contract

FWIW, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in 1993-95 and we each got a place to live plus about $200 a month. That was a LOT more than enough. I lived in relative wealth.

But that was a remote village.

And I was not there to live an extravagant life.

They also gave me a great mountain bike. I used that, my feet and local transport to get around.

Zanzibar will be more expensive. How much? Not sure. But $300 is probably an average salary in Arusha. And most salaries in Arusha do not include housing.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: working contract

thanks for all the input. My daughter has very simple needs, but obviously needs to survive and be able to get around. She's written to the place concerned to find out about transport etc. of course we are here to help in an emergency but she wants to stand on her own two feet after 8 years of university, and I can't see this happening with this particular job. This is her dream job, working with children in an NGO, but one has to be practical! Thanks for the advice all.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: working contract

Zanzibar is not a cheap place to live. I have also noticed that the past 3 years of living here it has got more and more expensive, everything is aimed for the tourists, sure you may get the odd ex-pat discount but even then it is not cheap.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: working contract

Dream job? Dream job?

And you can help if needed?

Need you say more?

7. Re: working contract

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:18