We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mafia island

winnipeg
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mafia island

My wife and I would like to unwind after our safari in Tanzania. From the forum posts I have read Mafia island sounds like a good fit. We are looking for somthing very peacefull, with the option to snorkel/swim from the beach on our own. From what I have read it is possible to fly to Mafia from mainland Tanzania without having to go to Zanzibar 1st, is this accurate. Also can anyone recomend a place to stay on Mafia island. We are looking to spend around 250 per night and we do not drink. We hope to be there early December 2011 and stay for 5-7 nights.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: mafia island

Mafia sounds fairly perfect for your needs, you can't fly direct from Zanzibar to Mafia anyway, you have to go from Dar es Salaam

Swimming from the beach isn't a problem, but bear in mind Mafia like most of Zanzibar is tidal. For good snorkelling you will need to go on a boat to get to reefs

I live on Mafia and run a lodge so cannot recommend one above others- it would be seen as selling and therefore not allowed, I would look at the Mafia accommodation on Tripadvisor (check out all 3 TYPES of accommodation - hotels, b&bs also speciality lodgiings) here is a list of all the lodges bear in mind that lodges within the marine park do not have good beaches rather cleared mangrove , you need a lodge on the western side for the beach

Marine park lodges

Mafia lodge

Pole Pole

Chole Mjini

Kinasi

Shamba kilole

lodges close to town/airport

Butiama

Whaleshark lodge

Western side

Lua Cheia camp (owned by kinasi)

Ras Mbisi Lodge

Edited: 19 December 2010, 04:52
winnipeg
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mafia island

Thank you very much. Could you do me a huge favor and list which of the accomodations are on the west side. I tried doing this online but could not find the info. Also we will be there in early December. Is that a good time to maybee see whale sharks and what side of the island are the whale sharks on. Thanks a million for your advice.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mafia island

lua cheia, ras mbisi and butiama are on the western side, december is an excellent time to see whale sharks, the whale sharks are on the western side of the island as well

winnipeg
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mafia island

Thanks once again, I have it down to 3 picks. I was thinking of Butiama beach because it sounds like the beach there is nice, whale sharks close by and accomodations good. I was also thinking we would be not to far from chole bay should we decide to do snorkeling there for one or two days. Does anyone know what the snorkeling around Butiama might be like. On the other hand I was thinking of either chole mingi on the other side, it looks nice but I don;t know if there is a beach and if one can snorkel solo from shore even during high tide. Any help would be great

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mafia island

DH and I stayed for 5 days on Mafia at the end of Nov last year. It is indeed very quiet and laid back. Definitely go out and snorkel with the whale sharks. One of the highlights of our trip. Don't rule out taking a boat out to do some snorkeling. Our diving and snorkeling was from a dhow and when the wind was right they would use the sail. So peaceful and the underwater life was amazing.

We were on the east side in the marine preserve and the tide does go WAY out. Even at high tide I think you would have to swim out quite a ways to find corals and such. I will say that the skeeters were awful once the sun went down and while we had a bed net and a fan the room/hut didn't have screens and the weather was quite warm requiring open windows so it was either wear bug juice all night or get bitten 'cause the little buggers always seem to sneak in if somebody gets up in the night. In the morning we had to shoo them out from their hiding places all around the room.

In spite of that we would go back in a second.

Dar es salaam
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mafia island

There are few Hotels in Mafia Island, and most of them are up market. Only few budget accommodation.

And the eastern part is the most ideal for diving and snorkelling and other beach activities. For the budget of 250 double can still less for most lodges! Perhaps try a budget beach bungalows which they charge below 50usd for accm. And for that budget will cover all other expenses like drinks, snork, park fees etc

Dar es salaam
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mafia island

Try to get info through utendemarine@yahoo.com

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mafia island

I can highly recommend Shamba Kilole, we stayed there in Feb, diving and snorkeling was amazing, but you do have to go out on a boat for the snorkeling. We are due to go back in August so that speaks for itself!!!!

.......susie

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mafia island

Butiama, Chole Mjina & Pole Pole are my favourite Mafia lodges.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: mafia island

choice is yours i believe in my mind chole foxes lodge is very important to you cause of your budget or you can try to visit on their web to see around or keep in touch with mkilopola@yahoo.com for more contact about mafia island and their accomodation