We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corsica
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

Hi there,

we will be arriving at DAR international at 15h15 (hopefully) and want to take a connection to Zanzibar; If I book the precision airways flight at 17h20 will we have enough time for luggage collection, immigration (we need to buy visas) & tare we already in the correct terminal. The only later flight I can find is with Zanair at 18h15 but I guess this is a different terminal so again, will we have enough time?

thanks in advance

Thame, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

That should be enough time, unless you have a complicated situation with your visas (which most people don't). DAR is a small airport (by international standards). I would suggest no more than 45mins (probably less) for immigration and bags. This would then leave you 1h20mins to check in for your short flight to Zan. For Precision Air it is all in the same terminal, Zanair I think would need a change of terminals to the old (or should I say 'older'!) one.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

The above is right.

But I do advise to take a 18h15 in case of any delay of the flight and all processes.

I`m trying to figure out any delay of your flight and luggage collection and Visa.

Precision Air are using the same terminal (International Terminal) , Zan Air are using Local terminal which is less than 5 minutes driving.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

Hey, I'm landing from Doha with Qatar at 1.15pm and flying to Mafia with Coastal Aviation at 3pm - will that be ok? And do you know if its all in the same terminal?

Thanks!

Pete

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

Pete,

Coastal will meet you, if you have told them when you are arriving.

You then go through immigration or visa purchase (depending on whether you already have a visa, then pick up your bags.

Coastal will have a minibus to take you the 500 metres to their terminal.

You'll have to go through a brief passport check at ZNZ too, but it should only be a few minutes.

DAR should be fairly efficient, so it depends on how many people are in the queue in front of you. An hour should be fine.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

fantastic - many thanks!

Lausanne
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

Hello,

One thing you have to check and re-check and again, is the timetable of your plane. Time is often changed or plane cancelled.

We went there in November 2010. We were scheduled to leave Dar to Zanzibar at 9:30 am and eventually left at 16:30 pm; that was with Precision air and when you have passed the passport control, you are done, you have to stay at the departure gate which is no fun!!!. On our last day, we were booked with Precision air to leave Zanzibar at 17:30 pm to catch our flight back home which was leaving at 22:30. At 17:30 we were told that our flight was delayed about 40 min. no problem ........ but at 19:00 we started to be a bit worried (a group of 30 Turkish people were on the same plane and Turkish airways only goes once a week in Dar, so you can imagine their panic as their flight was at 20:30). But Precision air did not turn up to pick us up. Luckily the 30 Turkish people made so much noise that Dar airport sent very little planes (about 10 seats) to pick up passengers who had a connecting flight within the next 3 hours; all our suitcases where put at the back of the planes and between the passengers and we took off !!!.

All the other passengers waiting in Zanzibar could not embark and I don't know what happened to them.

So be very careful about the timing, cancellation, etc with Precision. But this is a part of the adventure and I will never forget it and all of that makes it a very special holiday.

Have a great holiday, you will love the place.

7. Re: how much time needed between flights at DAR airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 15:18