We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on zanzibar please

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on zanzibar please

hi...me and my future wife are gonna land in zanzibar in sep after a weeks safari in north tanzania..i have heard that the east side is great, but is the tide a problem and do anyone have any cool places to stay ?? not to expensive though

thanks

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Look at Pongwe Beach Hotel if it isn't already fully booked. We stayed there for 5 nights last september after a 10 night safari and it was great. (Check the reviews on here). Also very reasonably priced.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

You are right that East Coast and it`s parties has a great beach although is affected by low tide states.

I do agree with above that Pongwe Beach Hotel is nice and quite Place.

The area which is not totally affected by tidal states is North Coast Areas

Some options are:

Mnarani Beach Cottages

The Z Hotel

My Blue Boutique Hotel

The Zanzibari Beach Hotel

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Thanks...so they have mad parties on the east side then....is it not good for a honeymoon ??

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Pongwe was very and is used a lot by honeymoon couples.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

The East coast is much better for a honeymoon than the North! The North is where the parties are, as there are many hotels close to each other there is more nightlife. Although in Matemwe there are many hotels it is a lot quieter and many people opt for the East coast to get away from crowds etc. Pongwe is extremely quiet and many people do recommend it for a great honeymoon. It all depends on what you want though, are you wanting to do a few trips around the island or just looking for a good beach to relax?

The East is however affected by the tide and the North is not (as stated above!).

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Just so you know how much of a tide difference there is, I was near Jambiani and at low tide (basically most of the day) if I'd wanted to go swimming I would have had to walk out nearly 1/3 of a mile I'd say. I walked to Paje one day and the tide there didn't seem as far out, there were still pockets (although really shallow) of water to splash around in.

Swimming was possible after 4:30/ 5ish

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Just to point out - tides change every day, google tide timetables for Dar es Salaam the zanzibar tides will be a few minutes different to Dar (like 3 minutes). Just because pzonks experienced low tide most of the day does not mean that you will. Also low tides are lower (ie further out) on a spring tide - around full moon - than on a neap one. There are obviously2 high and 2 low tides in any 24 hours and they change by approx half an hour each day

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

I found the Red Monkey Lodge in Jambiani to be a nice place, check them out and see if its the right kind of place for you... I found it to be relaxing and quiet with beautiful village/beach surroundings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

to be honest, i dont know what to do..im booked to fly into zanzibar but having second thoughts....seems like the north is best for no tides but is party heaven and i dont want that on my honeymoon, so that leaves the east and that might invole walking quite a bit to have a swim, and only swimming after 4ish isnt any good...does anyone know about the south of the island ??/

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on zanzibar please

Check Flame Tree. It's in the North but very relaxed and laid-back. They don't have a pool now but are building one now and it should be ready by June, I think they said. You'll have a quiet place and if you want night-life it's not far.

But for me, personally, the low tide is not much of a problem because I hardly want to go in the ocean but once or twice. For me, a swimming pool is a little better than the ocean itself. So the swimming pool is a must. Note that some swimming pools on Zanzibar have salty water and some have no salt, if that matters to you - ask.

Regarding the tides read Titch's post again - the time of the tide changes every day.