We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

Hi! Thanks to all who contribute to this forum, the advice is so helpful!

After Kili and a safari, we're heading to Zanzibar for 4 days, 3 nights. We'd like to do a day at Prison Island, a spice tour and generally relax and enjoy the beach/hotel. I have a few questions...

1- Do the prison island and spice tours leave from Stonetown? So if I stay in Nungwi, would I have to take a taxi back to stonetown first and depart from there?

2- How long is the drive from Stonetown to Nungwi?

3-Is Prison Island a full day activity?

4-Ultimately, is it worth it to stay in Nungwi if I'll need to go back to stonetown for so many activities?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

1. Prison Island generally leaves from Stone Town, however the Spice Tour is between there and Nungwi.

2. It is about 1.5 hours drive from Stone Town to Nungwi.

3. If you start early, then prison island can take up only half of a day.

4. It is totally up to you where you decide to stay, but I must mention that the beaches at Stone Town are not very good as compared to the lovely ones at Nungwi. I would personally start very early and do both Prison Island and Spice Tour in one day, and then spend 2 days in Nungwi.

Hope my input helped!

Tom

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

addition to above :

Correction:- Driving from Stonetown to Nungwi is only an hour good driving because is Tarmac road throughout the way. 1.5 hrs was spent at that time where there was a sector of Safari road.

Each mentioned tour takes 3 hrs as maximum hours for the tour.All are on Half day basis.

Most of people are doing this as combination tours,picked up at 08h00 start with Spice tour,break for Lunch,then to Prison Island Trip.

Is better to do a combined tours in order to cut off cost.

Most of Tours are Half day tour (3 hrs)

Full Day tour in Zanzibar are Safari Blue adventure or Dolphin Full day Trip.Rest of other can be combined.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

beirut
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

if we are flying home from Dar essalam, would it be better to end tour in Stone Town or Nungwi?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

Well, the dock is in Stone Town, and the airport is not far from Stone Town - so it makes more sense to end your holiday in town for convenience.

6. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 17:05
7. Re: 3 days, should I stay in stonetown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:17