We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Zanzibar question...

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Another Zanzibar question...

Hi everybody,

I've done extensive research on the forum and on the internet about what location to choose for a beach holiday in Zanzibar, but still have troubles in deciding, so would appreciate any help.

We are looking for small hotel at a nice beach. We would like to have a quiet beach possibly also with a local village nearby. We are not looking for the "all inclusive" type of accomodation, we like to also eat in restaurants outside the hotel. In terms of price we are leaning towards budget to midrange options.

Any recommendations?

We have considere Matemwe beach, but are not sure, if there is anything (restaurant) to go to outside the hotel...

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Quoted "We are looking for small hotel at a nice beach. We would like to have a quiet beach possibly also with a local village nearby"

You have an answer that Matemwe Beach Area.

This will depend on the opted Hotel.

Because most of the Restaurant are accessed at Day time only and not night time for your safety,because will have to walk a little bit to go to another Restaurant which is in another Hotel.

some mid class Options:

Matemwe Beach Village

Matemwe Baharini Villas

Sunshine Hotel

Another option is Paje Village Area - East Coast

Arabian Nights Hotel

Arabian Night Annex

Cristal Resort

Kinazi Upepo

But Nungwi Village still have some options,because not all area are noisy area in Nungwi village,Eastern side of the Village is quite.

Mnarani Beach Cottages

Flame tree Cottage

Zalu Resort Area

The Zanzibari Hotel

Double Tree by Hilton at the north peak of the coast

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Edited: 05 April 2011, 10:15
Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Hello, This forum is full of great recommendations and reviews of Zanzibar hotels, however sometimes you can read too many!! I would suggest contacting an agent. Explain your personal preferences and they will make suggestions for you. It will cost no more than if you were to book direct. Without knowing all your requirements its difficult you make good suggestions but by the sound of it food and location is quite important.. on that note I would suggest taking a look at Echo Beach – the food is excellent and the location is quiet without being too quiet. You are also not too far from the Rock Restaurant – well worth a trip out. Please see the link.

purezanzibar.com/Zanzibar/…Eat-on-The-Rock

I hope this helps.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Thanks for the suggestions - will look into it tonight...

You are right - we are overwhelmed by the many recommendations.

What we are basically looking for is a small hotel in a quiet area and at a beautiful beach. This is priority number one...

A nice to have would be, if it was possible to go outside of the hotel, for example to a local restaurant...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Let me just add that with so many options that fit what you are describing, you would have to work really hard to screw it up. Can I say that on TripAdvisor?

Maybe to narrow it down, you need to be more specific with what you want to pay and what you want the room to be like. What's more important sea view or quality room? $100 a night, $200 a night or $300 or more?

Swim in pool or ocean?

Activities on site or not? Which activities?

Sunset or sunrise?

Any other way that you can describe your dream come true?

hampshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

I would totally agree with pure Zanzibar echo beach is really great, just returned from Zanzibar, having spent 10 nights in 5 different hotels, from kalindindi, pongwe, echo, shooting star and mbweni ruins and I would say that overall echo beach ticked the most boxes for the price. If you want any more information send me a private message.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Thanks a lot for all suggestions...

You're right about being more specific, so I'll try...

Small hotel.

Room: Sea view preferred, like to have a nice, quiet surrounding. In terms of quality the only really important thing is, that it is clean. So not looking for luxury.

Swim: Beautiful beach is important for swimming and walking. Swimming pool not necessary.

No activities required, we prefer a quiet hotel.

Budget: Not more than 120-150$ per night

Other: Like to have a local village nearby and have the possibilities to see local life. Also like to go out of the hotel sometimes for lunch or dinner, so private restaurants would be great.

So the dream location would be a beautiful beach, a small quiet hotel, a local village with some restaurants nearby...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Flame Tree is probably best for you. Small hotel, great beach, close to village, good price. No swimming pool, though one is under construction I heard. I'm sure there are others that fit the bill, but this one comes to mind most quickly.

Note for everyone: Please dress conservatively in the villages. It's respectful of local culture.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

Thanks a lot Brian and the others for all your suggestions. It's not easy to decide with so many options...

Already looked into Flame Tree Cottages and it looks good... On their homepage it says that the swimming pool will be done for June. Let's see...

How is the beach at Flame Tree Cottages? And generally in Nungwi?

We also looked at Blue Oyster hotel in Jambiani. I heard the beach is very nice there. But I guess there will be no restaurants outside the hotel... Is that correct?

Third property we looked at is Sele's bungalow. Seems to be a small and rustic resort... I guess this would be the more quiet and secluded experience. Any comments on this property

Zanzibar Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

I strongly recommend either Nungwi or Kendwa for the things you are looking for. Given that, I would go with the Nungwi area because there is a local village within walking distance, the hotels are higher quality (not a lot of backpackers) and the atmosphere is more mature and less partying compared to Kendwa.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Zanzibar question...

I'd encourage everybody to write down the name of Zanzibar Parasailing - because I assume all the spams will be removed soon. Please remember the name and REFUSE TO EVER USE THEIR SERVICES!

This kind of cynical spamming of TA should have the consequence of loss of business...