We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of a beer

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
cost of a beer

Zanzibar looks fantastic. We are not backpackers nor in the first flush of youth (although our 21 son will be accompanying us) but the hotels are either high end budget or huts on the beach. Is there something in the middle? It seems that all the hotels charge per person rather than for the room? We like some life, able to walk to a restaurant and bar (but do not like loud thumping music).

Where to stay???????

What is the cost of living for -

a main course in a hotel restaurant,

a main course at a local restaurant,

a beer

a rum and coke???

Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of a beer

I don't suggest accommodations because I don't know what others like and I can't get into their heads to know.

But I do know what the costs are. If you go to the hotel bars and restaurants as opposed to local bars and restaurants, than either double or triple these costs. A lite lunch can be had for about $5. A dinner for about $8 - $10 not including drinks. A beer will be about $1,50 - $2 A rum and coke, the rum will cost you about $2 and the coke will be about $.50 - $1. I put this in USD but I would suggest that you go to a Bureau d Change and exchange your money into local money, it works better and they have to accept TShillings.

san francisco
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of a beer

That's a good point Karl. Note to self: while in Africa, try some of the local establishments for the ambiance as well as the pricing.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of a beer

I avoid tourist restaurants if I can, as well as tourist bars. Tourist bars only have one good thing (sometimes) cold beer. Many times the local bars do not have their fridges turned down low enough to keep the beer really cold. I always ask for beer ber-id-e sana (that means very cold, not spelled correctly but rather spelled phonetically). I also enjoy talking with the locals, I find that I learn things when I talk with the locals, when I talk with tourists I only learn where they're from and what they've seen, etc. and I'm all about learning things.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of a beer

I agree with Karl,

Baridi Sana(Very cold),Baridi is cold and Sana is very.

The place to have this sort of environment is North Coast at Nungwi Village Area.

Hotels charges per person sharing as their price set up policy,just take per person price times two and will get a price per room per night

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of a beer

In the local bars, you can usually pay around 2,000 Tanzanian shillings for a beer, however in tourist places it is 3,500 and upwards.

6. Re: cost of a beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 05:28