We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

Hi there, hoping someone can help me wi a dilemma !

I am going on safari in Kenya and Tanzania over the next two weeks. The tour finishes in Zanzibar where myself and boyfriend want to spend a week diving.

The problem I have is that afterwards we are travelling to India and need to get our visas stamped into our passports at Dar Es Salam which takes 3-4 working days. We are hoping we can leave our passports with the consulate and head over to Zanzibar by boat to do some diving and come back in a few days for our passports.does anyone know if we will need our passports when arriving by boat to Zanzibar?

If someone could let me know it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Siobhan

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

Must have a passport.

Passport is the main thing for travellers.

Why don`t you use Indian Consulate in Zanzibar while you have plenty of time?

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

Tanzania is an union government of the mainland and Zanzibar. When you go to Zanzibar you will need to go through passport control and they will check your passport and Tz visa. You cannot do this as you suggested, it's not like going from London to Whales or Scotland, you will be going to another country (kind of, except that it's a part of Tanzania). Zanzibar like to maintain it's independence and this is one of the results.

Do as suggested and try to get your India visa while on Zanzibar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

Thank you both very much. I don't know how I overlooked to see if Zanzibar had it's on Indian consulate, problem solved!

Many thanks again xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

Thank you both very much. I don't know how I overlooked to see if Zanzibar had it's on Indian consulate, problem solved!

Many thanks again xx

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

You should get you Indian Visa in you country of residence. I suggest you phone the Indian High Comission before way before you depart for Africa.

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

You should get you Indian Visa in your country of residence. I suggest you phone the Indian High Comission in London way before you depart for Africa.u

Edited: 12 June 2011, 18:25
7. Re: Do I need passport for Zanzibar when arriving from Dar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:17