We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubletree and other question

Augusta
Level Contributor
459 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Doubletree and other question

Hello:

1. The Doubletree Zanzibar appears to be on the western side of the island. I have heard the beaches/water on the west side is pretty but the water is probably not healthy due to sewage. Can anyone verify?

2. Almost all the hotels list excursions of snorkel, stone, spice, etc., but none list prices. Does this mean all the prices are negotiable, or is there a place I can get an estimate of prices for excursions.

3. If I am looking for a decent beach to relax on, but not too far from activities/town, a nice hotel with air conditioned rooms, a pool, restaurant, and that has a feel of the area, what would you suggest?

(is this asking too much?)

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubletree and other question

1 - Firstly,It seems that you are complicating these locations.

The Western side which the water is not healthy due to sewage is Stonetown,the whole Stonetown is in Western Region at West Coast.

Double Tree by Hilton Zanzibar is on The Northern Coast of the Island(Not western).No doubt about the beach

2-Prices for excursions are negotiable and will depend on type of excursions and how you combine them to cut off cost and save the time.

3- This will depend on you preference of Hotel

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubletree and other question

Hi,

The Doubletree is situated in the northern part of the island and there is definitely no sewage issues there. As to excursions this is certainly negotiable and depends upon where you stay, what you want to do or where you wish to go. Stone Town tours or Spice tours for instance depend purely upon where your point of departure is from.

Finally, I would suggest either Matemwe Retreat or Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel. Both hotels are near enough to local villages to sample a bit of local life while not actually being in the middle of it - so privacy and peace is preserved. Personally, I would look at Ras Nungwi, they represent better value for money in my opinion.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubletree and other question

We have just left The Doubletree and are now spending a few days in Uroa Bay beach resort. We have a car , and so have spent 8 days all over the North and East of the Island. In my opinion the Doublettree is an excellent choice of accomodation and it has EASY walking access to more than 10 local establishmnets to sample local fare . In Uroa Bay there is one local restaurant outside of the hotels. Besides the beach boys who are a pain, the sea is fine and the pool at the Double tree is superb. We will certainly return to Nunwgi and the Doubletree if we ever come back to Zanzibar.

4. Re: Doubletree and other question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 13:19