We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nungwi or Kendwa

Murska Sobota...
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Nungwi or Kendwa

I am taking a trip to Zanzibar - 11 nights. 5 days at east coast (Paje), 5 days at nord coast ( Nungwi or Kendwa) and last night in Stone town.

I have few questions about Nungwi.

Is there also big tide like on east coast? They say, the Nord beach is the best and most beautiful - but I saw a lot of rocks. I would prefer long beach. Is there any at Nungwi? Which hotel or BB should I take ( max 150 USD per double room per night). Or should I go to Kendwa?

Thanks!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nungwi or Kendwa

The long beach is at East Coast.

The beach at Kendwa and Nungwi is a bit narrow beach when it comes to High tide states.

Very small part of coast has rocks.

Prices depend on the month of travel so that US$ 150 can be more or less as it depeneds on the season(Month of travel).

Regards

Zanzilandholidays

Murska Sobota...
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nungwi or Kendwa

I am traveling in August (8th).

What places would you recommend? I am planning 5 days in Paje. There I wanna see dolphins on south, jazani forest, bewejuu and chwaka bay. Later we will go to Nungwi and also discover the neighbourhood. Is it maybe better to stay few days in Kiwengwa?

Is every beach on Zanzibar affected by tide?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nungwi or Kendwa

Tides are controlled by the Moon.

Every beach, everywhere (except small seas), are affected on a daily basis as the Earth spins around and the gravitational pull of the Moon sucks the water towards it.

Tides go in and out (rise and fall) twice a day. On shallow beaches (eg the East Coast), the water will go out a long way. On deep beaches, this will be less noticeable.

Given we know where the Moon is most of the time and the Earth spins fairly constantly, we can work out when the tides will rise and fall all over the world. This information is published in Tide Tables, and your hotel may provide these for you to help with planning, eg don't go snorkelling in shallow water when the tide is out; go to Jozani forest!

You can look up the tide tables online if you wish to know them today.

Cork
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nungwi or Kendwa

I loved the beach at Kendwa and I stayed at Sunset Kendwa bungalows. The rooms were very large and spacious with air con and a fridge! Very clean also. I think it was about 60$ a night but was well worth it, we had planned only to stay there for a night or two and move on but ended staying there for the rest of our holiday

5. Re: Nungwi or Kendwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 10:16