We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you had to choose...

EE1
Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
if you had to choose...

i have narrowed my hotel choices down to the following:

pongwe beach

shooting star lodge

azanzi beach

sunshine hotel

however i really cant decide which 2 to choose (we have 8 nights to split our time).

can anyone help? pro's/con's of each? better areas to combine together? we would like to see as much of zanzibar as possible in a relatively short space of time (we also have 2 nights stonetown booked at end of holiday), maybe do a few snorkelling trips, lazing round on beach mostly and the option to eat outside of hotel if feel like it. I dont mind spending 4 nights being based in the hotel and not being able to venture far (as seems the case with pongwe) but would then like to move on somewhere where we have the option to do a few trips, eat out etc.

thanks

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: if you had to choose...

All these are at North East Coast except Pongwe which is East Coast.

Shooting Star at Kiwengwa Village

Azanzi and Sunshine at Matemwe Village

Pongwe at Pongwe Village

Shooting Star,Azanzi and Sunshine all have nearby outlets like Bars and Restaurants which are out of the Hotel but I know Azanzi is on All inclusive basis.

Pongwe is Isolated and very quite place with no such options but their have Bar and Restaurant.

Trips:Can be done from any of the Hotel

Also all outings for the meals will be at Day day time for your safety,

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

EE1
Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you had to choose...

Many thanks. Maybe we should look at another area for part of our trip where we are able to go out at night do you have any suggestions?

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: if you had to choose...

The only place to go out at night to nearby outlets Bar and Restaurants are North Coast at Kendwa Village Area and Nungwi Village Area.

The main reason is Hotel being very closed to each other in a queue.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if you had to choose...

Hi,

I don't know the island well, but the bits I've seen do not seem to me to be set up for wandering around at night and going to restaurants (apart from Stonetown). (The north may be different - I haven't been there).

You have to remember it is not the south of Spain, with built up ribbon developments of bars, restaurants and hotels, etc.

The hotels tend to be in their own, secluded grounds with wonderful stretches of beach. Some might be near villages, others not. Some of these villages might be quite poor, with no running water.

I'm not trying to put you off - just explaining the reality of parts of Zanzibar. As I say, there are many parts I haven't seen and there are also good guide books you can check for what you want.

EE1
Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you had to choose...

thanks for your replies. I fully understand that Zanzibar is not like Spain - if it was it would be my idea of a holiday from hell! I have visited a few small islands where hotels are isolated (lombok, gili meno, railay bay) and this is a perfect holiday for me...............when they are combined with a few days getting out and about and having the option of somewhere else to eat/drink outside of hotel. That is why i am drawn to combining Pongwe with another part of zanzibar - but i am still struggling with where that area is!! Am now researching into kendwa area.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: if you had to choose...

Then, based on info above... split your time between a property at Pongwe or Matemwe (east coast) and then up north. Do remember to consider the transfer time and cost between the two. Then transfer back south to Stone Town.

Luynes, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: if you had to choose...

Hi, I planed my trp to Zanzibar in 2011 November/december,first I booked a very very nice hotel in Stone town, the name is" Kholle house" , Iknow it, and after I'll visit North east and we planned Sunshine, looks very nice too, I red a lot of things about it and everybody tell nearly the same,

I've to boo athird one may be more in the south of the island but I'm still looking for,

let me know if you find something nice,

good trip ;-)

Luynes, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if you had to choose...

Hi, I planed my trp to Zanzibar in 2011 November/december,first I booked a very very nice hotel in Stone town, the name is" Kholle house" , Iknow it, and after I'll visit North east and we planned Sunshine, looks very nice too, I red a lot of things about it and everybody tell nearly the same,

I've to boo athird one may be more in the south of the island but I'm still looking for,

let me know if you find something nice,

good trip

Edited: 16 September 2011, 10:51
9. Re: if you had to choose...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:18