We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zanzibar airport

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
zanzibar airport

help please. i am meeting my daughter in zanzibar in october. her flight has been changed and is now 03.25 - i am flying in on the same morning arriving at 10.00. I had booked her a hotel as she was originally flying in earlier but now the flight time has been changed, just wondering if she should go to a hotel. She will have to queue up for a visa on arrival as well. The check out time at the hotel is 10.00. Difficult decision as I have no idea of facilities at zanzibar airport. Can anyone who knows zanzibar airport give me advice please. Would be grateful for any advice.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: zanzibar airport

There is no need for her to wait for you at that time.Is better to take a Taxi to Hotel.Check out time is 10h00 but I hope not all rooms will be occupied especially in October.Hope will get an earlier check in room.

There is no any facility for clients who waiting for others at Zanzibar Airport especially at that time,and she will be alone and will get tired to wait for you for almost 6 - 7 hours.Zanzibar Airport is not big and to queue up for the Visa will take few minutes because is the only flight at that time,

Shortly,no waiting lounge,she has to sit on her bag at arrival lounge and be a friends of mosquitoes :-)

The only think is to advise a Hotel on this status,so that will be aware of this earlier check in.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zanzibar airport

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Yes I will advise the hotel that she will be checking in at that time and even if she has to check out at 10.00, she will at least have a few hours sleep. I just didn't know what facilities there would be at the airport so thank you for giving me advice..

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zanzibar airport

Zanzibar Airport is sparce and there is going to be nothing for her to do at 3.30am, get a taxi into town and stay at a hotel, I think it will also be safer as there is going to be nothing happening at the airport so early in the morning. Getting a visa won't take long at all.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zanzibar airport

maybe if you can ask the hotel to arrange a taxi for her, wouldn't be staying around zanzibar airport at all. tell her to be aware of people trying to scam her from the moment she touches down and try and get a "tip" for everything.

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zanzibar airport

Thank you for all your comments. I am having real problems getting the hotel booked to confirm the free airport taxi to the hotel (which its website says it does supply) Does anyone know of a reasonable hotel that does provide a free airport taxi at 03.30/04.00 in the morning? Or will she be safe getting into a taxi? And if in a taxi, how much to Stone Town - I am thinking 10 dollars, is that right, or does the price go up during the night?

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: zanzibar airport

Most of Stonetown Hotels are counting numbers of nights for fee transfer also Class of the Hotel.

But is not more than US$ 10 and there is Airport Taxis Rank and expect to pay a little be more at that time but not more than US$ 15.

Which Hotel is that?

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zanzibar airport

Dear ZanzilandHolidays

Thank you for advice. Hotel is Chavda Hotel, they do say on their website that they supply free airport transfer - we will see. I hope they know now that my daughter is arriving very late during the night so hopefully her room will be waiting for her but it would have been nice to have received confirmation from them that they do know this. Thank you also for the advice re price. You have said what I thought and I will pass that onto my daughter.

Best wishes

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: zanzibar airport

As with most hotels world-wide, for hotel check-in early morning, you actually have to book the room for the night prior, with check-out traditionally 10am next morning. If this is how you book, she should get a confirmed room.

If the hotel won't provide fee taxi (at that hour), she can take a taxi for no more than USD$15... maybe 15/min. drive. Next morning, even with 10am check-out, she'll have time for breakfast (should be included in rate) and at least somewhere to wait till you arrive if they insist she vacate the room (maybe they won't).

Sure better than hanging at airport where it's not pleasant, uncomfortable, these is nothing to do, or even eat.

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zanzibar airport

4sandi

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have booked the room for the night prior and she has a confirmed room but have also travelled enough to know that hotels are not above double booking a room! And that was why I was trying to make sure that the hotel understood that she was arriving, albeit at a crazy time in the morning. Unfortunately her flight was changed so instead of flying direct from Addis Abeba, the flight now touches down at Dar Es Saleem before coming onto Zanzibar, otherwise she would have been arriving a little earlier and would have been able to make more use of the room. But I don't think I can do any more. I'm just a mother trying to look after her daughter!! And thank you for your suggestion of the charge for the taxi which was the same as Zanziland said - I have just passed that on to her by phone.

Thanks again. Any information gratefully received.

Best wishes

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: zanzibar airport

I hope the flight shows up on time or you'll show up at the airport with no incoming flight. I haven't yet discovered a reliable and good way to determine if any flight will be delayed for most African airlines and airports. It seems phone calls and the internet don't yet provide reliable real-time means of checking flight status.

I took a non-stop Fly540 flight from ZNZ to NBO. "Non-stop" meant that the flight number changed and the scheduled landing changed because we made an unscheduled stop at MBA and went through customs there. Take off was delayed too. About 15 minutes after scheduled take-off and no plane was to be seen anywhere, somebody finally made the announcement that the flight was going to be delayed. (yep. tell us something we haven't already figured out...[sarcasm])

Edited: 09 October 2011, 19:11