We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Precision Air

california
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Topic
Precision Air

Precision Air delayed flight 24 hours with no explanation. We do NOT recommend this airline! Our flight Sunday evening was canceled after a two hour delay with no explanation given, and we were not given any updates during the delay. We were given a musty old room at the Zanzibar Beach Hotel that had bugs and mosquitoes in the room, no hot water (plumbing problems requiring access to the room), yellowed and torn sheets, and we had to pay for our own drinks. We waited over four hours for the Precision Air rep to show up that night and give us our flight info for the next day. The 10AM flight on Monday was delayed five hours and then had repeated delays and again no explanation and no updates given. The lunch Monday was the food left over from Sunday night. The swimming pool had algae in it.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Precision Air

There have been other posts about problems with Precision Air, although saying that, I would rather a delay than an unsafe flight......

However, I found the 4 flights I took on Coastal (Dar-Mafia Island return and Dar-Zanzibar return) this August & September to be on time, efficiently managed and with impresive pilots.

I would stick to Coastal again.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Precision Air

Typically there, a carrier is not required to provide you with anything except a chair in the terminal to wait on them; having them provide you with anywhere to stay is an extra (albeit it not to your liking). When there are mechanical problems they must wait until the plane is repaired before they can take off, I wouldn't want them to do anything else. I know that this might put a crimp in travel plans, but a plane accident would do that also.

Which carrier would have the most delays, that would probably be Precision Air because they have the most routes and flights. That doesn't make them unreliable IMO, it makes them safe to travel with.

I would always say that Precision Air and Coastal Air are reliable carriers, with the caveat that all carriers there will delay or cancel flights due to mechanical difficulties.

In fact I would go further and say that the only carrier which I would call unreliable there would be Air Tanzania, I would advise against using this carrier even to carry freight.

Hertford UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Precision Air

My recent experience of Precision Air is such that I will avoid them in the future at all costs. We arranged our UK/Kenya flights separately and had booked return tickets for a side trip from Mombasa to Zanzibar - a short hop that should take less than an hour. On arrival at Mombasa airport at 10 am for our outbound trip due to leave at 11.30, were told the flight was delayed - sure it was, we finally got to Zanzibar at 11.00 pm! What was worse they simply cancelled the return flight! My advice is use Fly540, we did, and we will in future.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,623 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Precision Air

Missed this the first time around.

Golly Gee. You had to buy your own drinks?? Outrageous. I should sue. You simply cannot treat Americans that way.

You got to the Hotel 'late' Sunday evening and waited four hours for the Rep.

Back at the airport for 10AM flight. No wonder the Pool had algae.

You were treated a lot better than many stranded passengers would have been. Be happy you were safe!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Precision Air

TIA! Our flight on KLM left JRO about 10 PM to make the quick jump to Dar, then head off to Amsterdam. We were sitting longer on the ground in Dar than we expected... kind of anxious to get in the air and get a good night's sleep - only to learn we would be first flying to Nairobi. It seems there was not enough jet fuel at Dar to fill one jumbo jet... just enough to tide us over til we could get to the next "gas station" in Nairobi. Pilots did a good job - lost two hours, made up over an hour of it with good tail winds... everybody seemed to make their connections...

In spite of these "difficulties" I will continue to fly KLM...

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Precision Air

It always seems to me that everyone is so accustomed to airplanes operating on a schedule, and typically they meet that schedule; and that creates an unintended consequence of people thinking that they will always meet their schedules. And when they don't for some mechanical reason they get angry, and airlines seem to be easy to get angry with. I've stayed at the Zanzibar Beach Hotel and, at least when I was there, it's not a bad place to stay. Certainly not the Ritz but it's not a dump either. I don't believe there's any regulation which says they have to put you up anywhere. I've had long delays on Precision Air a couple of times and all I got was a seat in the terminal to wait it out until they had the aircraft repaired and we were off. Precision Air flies the most routes in Tanzania, thus, they will have the most potential for flight delays.

If you don't like to fly on Precision Air, I might suggest that the next time you fly there you try Air Tanzania. I understand that they are now flying again. And if you do, then I would suggest that you have your life insurance updated, just in case.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,623 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Precision Air

It always amuses me that folks can spend/waste* (* delete as applicable) hours in front of a TV screen, or texting nonsense to each other or even (hush my mouth) at a Computer console reading Trip adviser without a complaint.

Delay a flight by 30 minutes and its almost a hanging offence.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Precision Air

It's true that Precision is often lacking in the communication department. Most competent and well-established international airlines have learned the importance of quick and clear communication with customers at all points. Somehow, communication of what is going on makes people feel better, even if the wait/delay is the same with or without communication.

It's also true, I believe that we are so accustomed to flying on huge airlines that have backup planes available in most situations, that we are not accustomed to flying with an airline, such as Precision, that doesn't have backup airplanes sitting around.

Oh I've been frustrated by Precision at times, trust me. And many complaints are legitimate. That said, I continue to use them when it makes most sense. The most important thing is safety, of course. And I've never had a reason to believe that they might not be as safe as any other airline. As IAB points out, even KLM has delays sometimes. I've had a couple of major mechanical breakdowns while in the air with KLM and both of these caused significant delays. One delay was about 6 hours (had to return to AMS even though we were over Italy) and one was about 50 hours (while they replaced an engine in Nairobi!) In both cases, I tried to focus most of my frustration on being grateful for the delay. The alternative could have been much worse.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 15:33
nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Precision Air

Aren't you glad you weren't on one of those Jet Blue or American Airline flights in the Northeast that were delayed due to the unexpected early October snowstorm. Passengers sat on the planes for hours, despite the new rules that airlines are now charged exhorbitant fees for doing so... like $30K per pax.

This time it was Precision; next it could be Fly540 or any of the others.

Delays happen - everywhere!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
539 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Precision Air

Oh boy! This makes me feel queasy, knowing hubby and I are scheduled to fly Precision Air from NBO to JRO two weeks from this Friday! guess I should keep my tour operators phone number handy, and consider the bus from Nairobi?